Scott Blewett

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Swirls
gone fission

Scott Blewett

Post by Swirls »

Any of the scouting guys know much about him? He's a HS Senior from the Syracuse area, and I work with his dad here at the plant. I wasn't even aware his son played baseball, let alone was already going to showcasing events around the country and whatnot for the 2014 draft next summer. He's a 6'-6" 210# RHP committed to St. John's.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Scott Blewett

Post by mikechamp »

No offense to your co-worker, but that does not seem like a last name I would want if I was a pitcher.

Especially a closer.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Never heard of him, sorry.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

Post by Valpo Cardinal Fan »

I'd say he has little chance of being drafted unless he really Ble-wetts it up this season.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

No clue. The only stuff like this I ever get to is the Under Armour All-American Baseball Classic at Wrigley and he wasn't there this week.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Yeah, I know a couple weeks ago he was in LA for the Area Code Games. A couple weeks before that he was pitching at the East Coast Pro Scouting combine here in NY.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

Post by Valpo Cardinal Fan »

one scouts assessment:

Scott Blewett is a 2014 RHP with a 6-6 210 lb. frame from Baldwinsville, NY who attends Charles W Baker HS. Tall slender athletic build, very projectable physically. Simple leg raise delivery, compact arm action, has some backside collapse moving forward and loses angle to the plate, high 3/4's arm slot, arm works well out front. Fastball topped out at 91 mph, mostly straight, maintained velocity well. Showed two quality off-speed pitches, change up is a nice pitch with proper arm speed and good life low in the zone, throws change up with confidence. Curveball has hard tight spin in the mid-70's with 11/5 downer depth. Big key to development is staying taller on his backside to create fastball angle. High ceiling potential talent with size, projection, arm strength and the ability to throw secondary pitches. Good student, verbal commitment to St. John's.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

The Cardinals are speaking to Scott tonight. Apparently the Mariners were wooing him last week, and their scout/representative said if he signed with them he would immediately be their #2 pitcher to King Felix.

The Cardinals scout/rep said it was somewhat of a formality to see and talk to him, as he didn't think he would still be available by the time the Redbirds pick at #31.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

JUPITER, Fla. -- There are dozens of future big leaguers playing in Perfect Game's 16th annual World Wood Bat Association World Championship. Of the roughly 1,700 players on the 85 teams, perhaps none looks more like a big leaguer than Scott Blewett.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/sco ... d=63407894

some pretty high praise

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Went and looked at his PG page. They hung a 10 on him, the highest grade, which means "Potential very high draft pick and/or elite level college prospect".

In June 2013 they clocked his FB range 88-90
In July 2013 they clocked his FB range 87-92
In August 2013 they clocked his FB range 90-93
(this is fun)
In October 2013 they clocked his FB range 89-95

I've never heard of him outside this thread, but a big 6'6" 210 pound kid who throws 95 has a nice signing bonus waiting for him.

Swirls: did his dad say where they're trading Taijuan Walker to make Blewett the #2 P in their org?