Scott Blewett

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Swirls
gone fission

Re: Scott Blewett

Post by Swirls »

Yeah, he's been a commit to St. John's for quite a while, but now that there's apparently a lot of talk of him going in the first round rather than much later, his stance has shifted from "see you in the 2017 draft" to "how much will you pay me to forego college?"

I suppose he could call out a stupid high value way above slot and scare everyone off, and then still go to St. John's. But I would like for the Cardinals to grab him if he's still available.

EDIT: And 33, I believe that's because next week the Cardinals are planning on trading The Ghost of Brendan Ryan's Mustache for Taijuan Walker.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/ne ... er_default
Blewett did not disappoint. Despite a cool day and his first start of the season, Blewett pitched six scoreless innings. He struck out 15, gave up two hits and walked one as the Bees earned a 3-1 victory.
Blewett is considered the No. 1 high school player in New York, the No. 1 player in the Northeast and one of the top prospects in the country.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Klaw says he's missing a start due to shoulder stiffness.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

He was named a 1st team All-American by Perfect Game.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

swirls...it's fun following a top pick or two when you have a connection. It was in 04 for me. I really got caught up in it. Hoping the best for the kid!

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb
No New York high school pitcher has gone in the first round since the Blue Jays picked Steve Karsay 22nd overall in 1990. Following an April 18 start in Florida, Baker High (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) right-hander Scott Blewett looked poised to end that drought.

Pitching against St. Joe's (Brooklyn) in front of a bevy of scouts at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Blewett struck out 13 in six innings of two-hit ball. More important, he showcased a fastball that creeped into the mid-90s and a tight curveball.

But Blewett hasn't been as sharp since. He returned to New York and made two more starts before coming down with a minor shoulder strain. He took three weeks off, then returned to the mound Saturday in what would be his final appearance of the season, a 2-1 loss to Auburn High in a state 2-A sectional playoff semifinal.

Blewett hit 95 mph against the first batter of the game, but his velocity steadlily declined over four scoreless innings. His command wasn't sharp, somewhat understandable because of his layoff, and he only threw a handful of curveballs. After striking out 50 batters in his first 26 innings of the season, he fanned just four on Saturday.

"He threw 71 pitches and was laboring hard," an area scout said. "We saw velocity early in the first inning, but it was up and flat. What I was concerned with was arm strength, and he showed that. He had two or three 93s and 94s, and one 95. But they were all up in the leadoff hitter's eyes and he fouled off all of them. In the second inning he was 90-91, in the third he was 88-89 and in the fourth he was down a little more. His last three pitches were 85, 84, 83."

Blewett's upside remains immense, so he still should factor into the early rounds of the Draft, if not the first. He has a big league body at 6-foot-6 and 210 pounds, and he has more athleticism and a sounder delivery than most teenagers his size. The St. John's recruit made steady progress on the showcase circuit last summer, peaking at Perfect Game's World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October, where his fastball peaked at 96 mph.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

BA has him as the #51 overall prospect. Here is the scouting report from BA (you need a membership I think, so hopefully this isn't illegal to cut and paste)

Blewett is one of the top arms in a strong year for Northeast prep pitching. New York has not had a prep righthander go in the top two rounds of the draft since Steve Karsay (first round) in 1990, but Blewett could break that streak. He was one of the fastest-rising prep players to end the fall last year after a strong showing in Jupiter. The 6-foot-6, 213-pound Blewett looks the part in a uniform and has a major league body with strength throughout his extra-large frame. He is a former hockey player and offers surprising coordination, polish and athleticism for an arm of that stature from the Northeast who is also young for the class, recently turning 18. His fastball has sat 89-92 mph, touching 94 in the first few innings of some starts before slipping into the high 80s. Blewett leverages his fastball downhill with good extension out front and gets riding life through the zone. His curveball is a potential plus offering, which he pairs with a changeup that has average potential. The St. John’s commit has average control, though he can occasionally be a short-armer.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

just got taken at 56 by the royals

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

won't be the first time the Royals Blewett

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I saw that he officially signed yesterday for $1.8 mil, or ~$800k over slot.