Stephen Piscotty

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Stephen Piscotty

Post by Felix The Cat »

Didn't see a topic for the "other" draft pick from #5's departure. Is he good enough to stick at CF? How much more power does he need to hold down a corner OF spot? ETA is 2015-ish?

Fangraphs just posted a Q&A with him today.
On his hitting approach: “I try to hit the ball hard, and low. I don’t try to hit home runs. I try to hit line drives and hard ground balls. If I end up getting under one, that’s when they go out. I pride myself in having good at bats with two strikes, trying to put the ball in play however I can. It doesn’t matter if I get jammed and break a bat, as long as I make contact. My mentality changes with two strikes. I become a little more competitive and just try to put the ball in play.

“You hear the term ‘hitting down through the ball,’ and that’s something I try to do. I’m not trying to chop at the ball, I’m trying to keep my bat on kind of a flat plane, and contact the ball square. If you hit the ball low and hard, you’re going to have a lot better chance than if you hit it up in the air. Hitting down through the ball, and hitting line drives, is my approach.”
Sounds like he'll fit right in with our current batch of hitters.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Stephen Piscotty

Post by mikechamp »

He was mentioned in an article by Goold recently. Something kind of hokey about "awards" for the past season, October and the future. There's an outside chance he could make his debut next season.

Here it is: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... f745e.html

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

PIscotty is good enough to stick in RF, not CF. He's 6'3" 210lbs, and will get bigger. He's got the stick to play everyday.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

33anda3rd wrote:PIscotty is good enough to stick in RF, not CF. He's 6'3" 210lbs, and will get bigger. He's got the stick to play everyday.
I realize the size is different, but a lot of people said Jon Jay wasn't good enough defensively to stick in CF either. Before this year's flukishness, he was league average or just above out there. I know that arm strength won't be the issue with Piscotty. Range?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jon Jay is definitely a great example of the sum of the parts are greater than the individual tools type of player. To be honest, I still don't understand how he was able to play an average CF.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Jon Jay is definitely a great example of the sum of the parts are greater than the individual tools type of player. To be honest, I still don't understand how he was able to play an average CF.
Pixie dust.

Or Paletta.

Either answer will work.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

we talkin like a 20HR rfer here?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

go birds wrote:we talkin like a 20HR rfer here?
sure, that's probably a good future projection to put on him. One would not be crazy to hang a Ludwick comp on him.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I'd be ok with that

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

cards AFL season is over, and piscotty continued his tear. .371 avg, .936 ops, 18 rbi, 20 runs, 7 sb, and 1 hr (in 23 games).

comp picks from pujols leaving...first wacha, now piscotty. nice.