Stephen Piscotty

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
ntexascardfan
AAA Minor League Player

Re: Stephen Piscotty

Post by ntexascardfan »

Piscotty is one of my favorite players in the minors.

He's a smart kid that takes a good approach at the plate. I was impressed with the interview he gave late last year deconstructing his approach at the plate, plus he has a cannon in right field.

mactwist2
AAA Minor League Player

Re: Stephen Piscotty

Post by mactwist2 »

Felix The Cat wrote:Didn't see a topic for the "other" draft pick from #5's departure. Is he good enough to stick at CF? How much more power does he need to hold down a corner OF spot? ETA is 2015-ish?

Fangraphs just posted a Q&A with him today.
On his hitting approach: “I try to hit the ball hard, and low. I don’t try to hit home runs. I try to hit line drives and hard ground balls. If I end up getting under one, that’s when they go out. I pride myself in having good at bats with two strikes, trying to put the ball in play however I can. It doesn’t matter if I get jammed and break a bat, as long as I make contact. My mentality changes with two strikes. I become a little more competitive and just try to put the ball in play.

“You hear the term ‘hitting down through the ball,’ and that’s something I try to do. I’m not trying to chop at the ball, I’m trying to keep my bat on kind of a flat plane, and contact the ball square. If you hit the ball low and hard, you’re going to have a lot better chance than if you hit it up in the air. Hitting down through the ball, and hitting line drives, is my approach.”
Sounds like he'll fit right in with our current batch of hitters.
I've heard comparisons to Matt Carpenter. If he's anything like Carp he'll stick. Can you imagine two battlers like Carp in the same line up? Sure it hurts your power but man would you get starters out of the game early due to high pitch counts and OBP.