99% conan clips

Re: BA's Top 10

Post by Jocephus »

remember too that stl_cards prefers a jocketty style GM/management

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

33anda3rd wrote:Trout's problem wasn't locational geography, as much as it was competitive geography. NJ doesn't matter. Small school, not much competition is what brought him down.
Scouts are going to slightly up/down grade players based on where they are from - because of the competition. Same with college conference they play in. It's natural and logical. Same raw tools on a player from Wisco and a player from Georgia and the latter is going to get rated higher, ISU vs LSU etc...

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
STL_Cards wrote:The Cardinals farm system isn't as strong, and I agree that after Taveras makes it to the major leagues there will not be much star potential. I understand that players like Adams, Craig, Rosenthal, etc. all panned out...but that is not a sure thing to happen again. If some of these other prospects don't develop, the Cardinals could be looking at a weak farm system moving forward. That's just my thoughts.
You can say the same thing almost every year. But, there's also a draft every year. I still think that people believe we don't have much talent lower in the minors because we rarely look behind the talent that's right in front of us. And we've had a rare streak of guys that were very hard to look past. When Miller was close a few years ago, we didn't have many stud starters behind him. Then we drafted Wacha and Martinez has developed. Now, we're about to graduate Miller, Martinez and Wacha, but we have Marco Gonzales, Kaminski, and especially Reyes to look toward. Taveras and Wong are going to graduate the system, but we have Piscotty coming. And there's another draft coming up in June and you'll have a whole new group of names to talk about.

We had an unheard of # of players in the top 100 this past season with 4 of these 5 in the top 25 -- Wong, Wacha, Martinez, Miller, Taveras. This coming season, even if we graduate all of them out of prospect status, I would bet we have at least three that finish in the top 100 -- Piscotty, Alex Reyes, and Gonzalez -- and that doesn't include anyone we draft this year. We're still deep enough that #1 prospects on other clubs aren't cracking our top 10.

Farm systems that produce one star every few years and solid players every year are the envy of the league. That's what we are.
Again Fat, that's kinda what I was getting at. The farm system still has an opportunity to be good. However, I think it's asking quite a bit to expect Piscotty, Reyes and Gonzalez to develop like Miller, Wacha, Martinez, Taveras, etc. I hope that some of those guys land in the top 100, but I think it's far from a guarantee.

Definitely need some progression, along with a strong draft. As some of you guys have pointed out, the organization deserves the benefit of the doubt.
I say we are thin, but I'm not blaming anyone. We are thin primarly because we had a boat load of prospects come up and help the team. And we still have some impact players - maybe two huge impact players. And I do believe in our developmental process, and I would not be the least bit surprised if some of our 40 prospects turn out to be solid MLB players.