What is Alex Reyes potential?

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: What is Alex Reyes potential?

Post by jim »

I saw him last June, my impressions:
Alex Reyes: Reyes is listed as our #7 prospect with a rating of 60/Extreme (Score/Risk). For reference, CMart is a 60 as a well (but Low risk). That gives you an idea of the kind of raw talent this guy possesses. Reyes line was 6.2IP/6H/4R/3ER/1BB/7K. The radar gun at the park was barely functioning, but he looked like he was sitting in the low 90's and I did see him reach back and hit 95 on the gun once. He's listed at 6-3/185, I went down to the bullpen and was standing 10 feet from him as he warmed up and I find the 185 hard to believe. He's got a good frame, thick upper legs and muscular. He has to be 200, if not more, and it's a good 200. He will fill out some more, he's a big strong guy. He is still working on commanding his curve ball, but it's a legit MLB plus pitch. He throws it hard, and it has terrific bite. I was 2 rows behind home plate with a perfect view, and even sitting back there he buckled my knees a couple of times. He showed a change up later in the game, that looks like a work in progress but I think he can develop it. His problem last night was just a 4 seam fastball with little movement that he got up. He was overpowering the weaker hitters, but some of the better hitters squared it up pretty good. Every hard hit ball except one (a hanging curve that went for a deep out) was a fastball. The DH for K. County hit a bomb off of him in the 2nd, he was rarely flashing the curve early and guys were sitting on the fastball. He actually threw the ball better as the game went on, in the 6th he minimized damage after a single and an error to retire the top 3 hitters in the order, two on K's.

Summary: He's got the raw materials to be a very good pitcher, he needs to develop the change and a compliment a good fastball with a 2 seamer. Keep an eye on this guy, barring injury he's going to be a MLB pitcher.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

One thing to remember is the very high attrition rate of pitchers.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Baseball America just came out with their top 20 prospects of the Midwest League = #1 was Alex Reyes.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Jenifer Langosch ‏@LangoschMLB Jun 26
Alex Reyes likely to miss at least two starts due to shoulder soreness. Puts his Futures Game participation in question.
Alex Reyes, who was recently named to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game world roster, may not be able to participate in the prospect showcase event due to right shoulder soreness, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak acknowledged on Friday.

Reyes, the 20-year-old right-hander ranked as the Cardinals' No. 3 prospect by MLBPipeline.com, was recently placed on the Class A Advanced Palm Beach disabled list. Mozeliak said that Reyes will likely miss at least two starts due to the injury, though an MRI showed no reason for long-term concern.

Mozeliak noted that the organization hasn't yet ruled out Reyes' participation in the July 12 Futures game, but would alert the Commissioner's Office next week if it looks unlikely that Reyes will be ready by that date. In that case, the Cards could have another Minor League player added to the roster.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Just promoted to Springfield.

Jocephus
99% conan clips