What is Alex Reyes potential?

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

What is Alex Reyes potential?

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I've been seeing his name more lately, and how he has potential to be a great pitcher. But I literally know nothing about the kid, really. Anyone who has seen him give a fast scouting report?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: What is Alex Reyes potential?

Post by 33anda3rd »

All I know about him is what I've read. High School stud, moved to the DR to live w/ family so he could sign as a FA instead of going the draft route, STL gave him a million bucks last year. Here's BA, who has him #7:
Scouting Report: Reyes is the raw clay that the Cardinals covet. He has two plus pitches and a third in development, scouts say. He starts with a fastball at 92-95 mph that will consistently hit 97. His frame and long arms project power, and he has a sharp plane to his fastball as it cuts through the strike zone. With a more consistent delivery, he’ll have better command and some deception. Reyes has a hard curveball with two-plane break and precocious feel for a changeup, but he’s only now learning to “pitch soft,” as one scout said.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

33anda3rd wrote:All I know about him is what I've read. High School stud, moved to the DR to live w/ family so he could sign as a FA instead of going the draft route, STL gave him a million bucks last year. Here's BA, who has him #7:
Scouting Report: Reyes is the raw clay that the Cardinals covet. He has two plus pitches and a third in development, scouts say. He starts with a fastball at 92-95 mph that will consistently hit 97. His frame and long arms project power, and he has a sharp plane to his fastball as it cuts through the strike zone. With a more consistent delivery, he’ll have better command and some deception. Reyes has a hard curveball with two-plane break and precocious feel for a changeup, but he’s only now learning to “pitch soft,” as one scout said.
Thanks! So another hard thrower. This makes me happy

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I've got Reyes 7th on my top-21 and he's the breakout pitcher of the minor leagues. Not for the Cardinals, but for the sport.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

phins wrote:I've got Reyes 7th on my top-21 and he's the breakout pitcher of the minor leagues. Not for the Cardinals, but for the sport.
Wow. What do you think his potential is in the majors?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

VEB interviewed him..apologies if posted before

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2014/1/31/5 ... d-prospect
VEB: Which big leaguer (past or present) do you model your mechanics/stuff after?

AR: As far as stuff, I would say I model myself after Jose Fernandez. The fact that he can blow a fast-ball by you and then leave you off balance with his breaking ball. It's kind of what I try to do to set up a hitter as well. As far as mechanics, I've never tried to model myself after any big leaguer. I just go by what feels comfortable and adjustments made by our coaching staff.
VEB: Why did you sign with the Cardinals rather than the Royals or Astros (or other unreported teams)?

AR: Every pitcher should want to be a Redbird. The organization is amazing. Moises Rodriguez and Angel Ovalles made me feel welcomed from the first day they saw me on the mound and same goes to everyone here in West Palm. I know that the Cardinals are going to get the best out of me as an individual and an athlete.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
phins wrote:I've got Reyes 7th on my top-21 and he's the breakout pitcher of the minor leagues. Not for the Cardinals, but for the sport.
Somewhere between Pedro Martinez and Demi-god

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
Somewhere between Pedro Martinez and Demi-god
Better than a demigod, then. That's impressive.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Ceiling: #2
Likely: #3

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i'd be ok with that