MLB's top 100 prospects for 2014

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

MLB's top 100 prospects for 2014

Post by Felix The Cat »

STL_Cards
Get off my damn lawn you whippersnappers!

Re: MLB's top 100 prospects for 2014

Post by STL_Cards »

When Taveras reaches the major leagues, the Cardinals will have no prospects in the top 50 and only two in the top 100. That helps to back up the argument about the Cardinals' weak farm system. Imagine how the system would rank without Taveras.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

STL_Cards wrote:When Taveras reaches the major leagues, the Cardinals will have no prospects in the top 50 and only two in the top 100. That helps to back up the argument about the Cardinals' weak farm system. Imagine how the system would rank without Taveras.
Here's a place you can buy a new drum.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

There are 30 teams in mlb. I guess you could argue we should have 4-5 maybe. So does Martinez qualify as a prospect or not?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

If only they would leave some of these guys down in the minors our ranking would be so much better.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

ghostrunner wrote:There are 30 teams in mlb. I guess you could argue we should have 4-5 maybe. So does Martinez qualify as a prospect or not?
I think he was up with the major league club for too many days so he lost rookie eligibility even though he didn't go over 50 innings.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

lukethedrifter wrote:If only they would leave some of these guys down in the minors our ranking would be so much better.
If only we had John Gall in his prime.

:cool:

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Felix The Cat wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:There are 30 teams in mlb. I guess you could argue we should have 4-5 maybe. So does Martinez qualify as a prospect or not?
I think he was up with the major league club for too many days so he lost rookie eligibility even though he didn't go over 50 innings.
Martinez is still prospect status I believe, I don't know why they left him off the MLB report. He is on the BA list:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... cts-index/

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

STL_Cards wrote:When Taveras reaches the major leagues, the Cardinals will have no prospects in the top 50 and only two in the top 100. That helps to back up the argument about the Cardinals' weak farm system. Imagine how the system would rank without Taveras.
I hear you. But the Cards have developed players well, and I have faith they will rebuild the system. I got to wondering how are system was ranked in the past few years, so I dug through some old BA handbooks. Here are the years, our rank, and some notable players out of that class.

2007 (23)
Rasmus
Garcia
C. Perez
Jay
Boggs
Ryan
Greene
Sugar Shane
Schumaker

2008 (13)
Rasmus
Perez
Garcia
Kozma
Boggs
Jay
Craig
McClellan
Motte
Greene

2009 (8)
Rasmus
Wallace
Perez
Motte
Freese
Kozma
Jay
Garcia
Boggs
Lynn
Greene
Salas
Craig
Cruz
Robinson

2010 (29!) This sorry bunch produced...
Miller
Garcia
Lynn
Freese
Sanchez
Craig
Descalso
Jay
Greene
Kozma
Freeman
Kelly

2011 (24). Yet another down year ...
Miller
Cmart
Craig
Lynn
Sanchez
Kelly
Marp
Descalso
Salas
Chambers
Kozma
Taveras (24 th ranked prospect)
Cruz

2012 (12)
Miller
Cmart
Taveras
Wong
Lynn
Sanchez
Adams
Rosy
Marp
Kelly
Chambers
Cruz
Freeman

Izzyman
Everyday Player

Post by Izzyman »

jim wrote:
Felix The Cat wrote:
Martinez is still prospect status I believe, I don't know why they left him off the MLB report. He is on the BA list:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... cts-index/
I believe BA only observes innings and AB limits but not service time which is why Martinez is on their list. He isn't eligible for ROY due to service time.