QA with James Ramsey/Top 10 list

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

QA with James Ramsey/Top 10 list

Post by Jocephus »

Q&A: James Ramsey, St. Louis Cardinals Outfield Prospect

by David Laurila - February 13, 2014

James Ramsey is blessed with natural talent. Pair that with the knack the St. Louis Cardinals have for developing hitters, and the 24-year-old outfield prospect has a bright future. It doesn’t hurt that Ramsey’s brains are every bit a match for his brawn.

A former Rhodes Scholar candidate who was drafted 23th overall in 2012 out of Florida State University, Ramsey achieved passing grades in his first full professional season. Swinging from the left side, he hit .265/.373/.440, with 16 home runs, between high-A Palm Beach and Double-A Springfield.

Not all evaluators have faith in Ramsey becoming an impact player — “high floor, low ceiling” is a refrain — but even the skeptics agree he’s a future big-leaguer. Ramsey finished up his 2013 campaign in the Arizona Fall League, where he discussed his development.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-james ... -prospect/

top 10 list
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top ... cardinals/

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: QA with James Ramsey/Top 10 list

Post by Fat Strat »

Ramsey is starting to look more interesting to me in the same way that Jon Jay interested me when he was in the high minors. He had a 123 wRC+ in his first season in the minors and played mostly at AA. Jay's highest wRC+ in the majors is a 117, in 2012. In the same year that he had a 117 he was slightly above average defensively. Add it up and Jay was a 3.7 WAR player. That's a top 10 CF'er in the league.

Could Ramsey do that? Maybe. I thought of Jay when he was drafted. If Ramsey could come in and become Jay right when Jay is becoming expensive (and extraneous) that would be something.