Rob Kaminsky: A Young Cardinal’s Learning Curve

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Rob Kaminsky: A Young Cardinal’s Learning Curve

Post by Jocephus »

by David Laurila - September 12, 2014
Rob Kaminsky had a killer curveball coming into the 2013 draft. By the completion of the current campaign he’d enhanced his arsenal by greatly improving his two-seam circle change. His next goal is to recapture command of the pitch that made him a first-round pick.

When St. Louis selected Kaminsky 28th overall, his calling card was a bender that Baseball America called “No. 1 among high schoolers.” Hard and nasty, it complemented a fastball that flirted with the mid-90s. According to scouting director Dan Kantrovitz, the Cardinals thought Kaminsky’s one-two punch wasn’t enough.

“When we were scouting Rob as an amateur, [area scout] Sean Moran told me Rob would have three pitches in the future with plus command,” Kantrovitz said. “He [also] said that because of how dominating he was at the high school level, he rarely had opportunities to work on his changeup and would need to focus on that in pro ball. Sean was spot-on. Our pitching coaches did an excellent job of bringing Rob along this year and really getting that changeup to be a legitimate weapon for him.”

The new weapon was legit. Pitching for Low-A Peoria, the 19-year-old southpaw surrendered just 71 hits in 100.2 innings. He won 8 of 10 decisions and logged a 1.88 ERA. Only two batters left the yard against him.
“Right now I think I’m more of a power guy,” Kaminsky said. “My velo is better than it’s been my whole life; I think I hit 95 at least once every start and 96 once or twice. Still, being a 5-10, 5-11 lefty with a goal of going seven strong, I have to figure out how to get people out early in the count.”

The Montvale, New Jersey, native fanned a nothing-special 7.05 batters per nine innings. He expects his K/9 to fatten up going forward, and for good reason: Kaminsky considers his curve his strikeout pitch. He’s also working to fine-tune his delivery, which he said has been “a little closed off.” Better extension could add inches to his offerings.

Kaminky isn’t Clayton Kershaw when it comes to talent or pitch selection, but he pays close attention to baseball’s best. That includes viewing Kershaw’s FanGraphs player page.

“I look at things like what percentage he throws his slider and his curveball,” Kaminsky said. “He’s got an awesome curveball, which he doesn’t throw as often as people think. He throws a lot of sliders. He’s a guy I look up to and love to watch. I’m not Clayton Kershaw – what he does is special and I don’t throw a slider – but I emulate certain things he does.”
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rob-kami ... curveball/

mactwist2
AAA Minor League Player

Re: Rob Kaminsky: A Young Cardinal’s Learning Curve

Post by mactwist2 »

I'm excited to see Kaminsky in a few years, he seems like he'll be a big piece down the road.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Re: Rob Kaminsky: A Young Cardinal’s Learning Curve

Post by salukifan2 »

71 hits in over 100 innings is amazing. Keep it up!