MWL Top 20

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

MWL Top 20

Post by jim »

1. Alex Reyes, RHP.

This is actually from the game I was at, I was sitting probably 5 seats to the right of this.
Age: 20. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 185. Signed: Dominican Republic, 2012.

For the first half of the season, Reyes walked a tightrope between dominance and disaster. When he threw strikes, he was the MWL’s least-hittable starter, but when he didn’t—he walked 6.1 batters per nine innings in the first half—wildness was always just around the corner.

Reyes’ balancing act reached a pinnacle on July 2 with five scoreless innings against Kane County where he allowed just two hits and struck out 10 but also walked seven.

Over the second half of the year, Reyes repeated his delivery more consistently and developed his changeup, which allowed his 93-96 mph fastball to be even more devastating. His 12-6 curveball flashes plus already. With the improved delivery, Reyes walked just six while striking out 38 in 25 August innings as he posted a 1.44 ERA.
13. Carson Kelly. I saw Carson in the game that Reyes pitched as a DH, and then again behind the plate in August. They say he wore down, I was actually pretty impressed with his work behind the plate when I saw him in August.

Age: 20. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 200. Drafted: HS—Portland, Ore., 2012 (2).

A former third baseman, Kelly wasn’t the only catcher conversion in the MWL this year. Joining him were former shortstops Marcus Littlewood of Clinton and Kyle Farmer of Great Lakes. For his part, Kelly split time behind the plate at Peoria with 2012 sandwich pick Steve Bean.

Kelly clearly wore down as the season progressed. His arm strength waned and he struggled with passed balls, while some scouts estimated he lost 10-15 pounds during the season.

Before wearing out, Kelly showed good athleticism behind the plate, a strong arm, receiving skills and an idea of how to call a game. At the plate, he has a chance to produce average power with excellent contact skills and an ability to draw a walk.

Age: 20. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 200. Drafted: HS—Portland, Ore., 2012 (2).

A former third baseman, Kelly wasn’t the only catcher conversion in the MWL this year. Joining him were former shortstops Marcus Littlewood of Clinton and Kyle Farmer of Great Lakes. For his part, Kelly split time behind the plate at Peoria with 2012 sandwich pick Steve Bean.

Kelly clearly wore down as the season progressed. His arm strength waned and he struggled with passed balls, while some scouts estimated he lost 10-15 pounds during the season.

Before wearing out, Kelly showed good athleticism behind the plate, a strong arm, receiving skills and an idea of how to call a game. At the plate, he has a chance to produce average power with excellent contact skills and an ability to draw a walk.
I couldn't find any video of him behind the plate.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: MWL Top 20

Post by phins »

Crazy to me they saw that much difference between Reyes and Kaminsky. I'd take Reyes over Kaminsky, but certainly not this large of a gap and I think it'll be a touch choice for Kaminsky or Kelly first.

Undersized pitchers continually get undervalued in my experienced and Kaminsky has plenty of current stuff at 89-92 while touching 95 with a plus curveball and developing changeup. The curveball has actually take a step back at the pro level (which happens, as the seams are much higher on high school baseballs). If he gets the feel for professional seams and continues that changeup development we're talking about a high #3.