Keith Law minor league system rankings

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Keith Law minor league system rankings

Post by Magneto2.0 »

13. St. Louis Cardinals

You'd have to go down to rookie ball to find a potential star in the system -- they lost one, Oscar Taveras, to tragedy last autumn -- yet the Cardinals can run 15 or more names who project to have significant, major league roles as average regulars or quality extra guys.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Re: Keith Law minor league system rankings

Post by jerbyrd25 »

I can't see why we would be ahead of the Reds.

Cards top 10 (with Reds equivalent in parentheses)

Reyes (Lorenzen)
Gonzales (Stephenson)
Piscotty (Winker)
Kaminsky (Travieso)
Grichuk (Ervin)
Flaherty (Garrett)
Cooney (DeSclafani)
Weaver (Howard)
Tilson (Rodriguez)
Kelly (Blandino)

They also have Raisel Iglesias. I mean the systems seem really similar to me.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

jerbyrd25 wrote:I can't see why we would be ahead of the Reds.

Cards top 10 (with Reds equivalent in parentheses)

Reyes (Lorenzen)
Gonzales (Stephenson)
Piscotty (Winker)
Kaminsky (Travieso)
Grichuk (Ervin)
Flaherty (Garrett)
Cooney (DeSclafani)
Weaver (Howard)
Tilson (Rodriguez)
Kelly (Blandino)

He has them 17. He said they could be a top 10 system but there's way too much risk associated with their top prospects

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I haven't seen the entire list but I think this is about where I figured they would be. There is alot of depth in the organization, few high ceiling guys (Reyes would be the exception) but plenty of guys that can contribute.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

does anyone have access to the 100 prospects he released today? only cardinal rankings of course

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

Four Cardinals on this year's list:

62 - Stephen Piscotty
64 - Marco Gonzales
77 - Alex Reyes
87 - Rob Kaminsky

All are a lot higher than I thought they would be.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

thanks!
Ron (Tempe)

Are there any top pitching prospects who do it on control and changing speeds without having a real plus fastball? Who are they?
Klaw
(1:48 PM)

Marco Gonzales, #64.
his chat transcript re: his list today - http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... -keith-law

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
jerbyrd25 wrote:I can't see why we would be ahead of the Reds.

He has them 17. He said they could be a top 10 system but there's way too much risk associated with their top prospects
Apparently, Law didn't include Raisel Iglesias in the Reds' rankings. Considering BA put Iglesias around the top 50, it seems pretty likely to have dragged their system down in his rankings.

Baseball America has Stephenson as the Reds' top prospect, followed by right-hander Raisel Iglesias. Iglesias, as a free agent from Cuba, was not eligible for Law's list, based upon the guidelines he set for himself.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblo ... /22521417/

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

His Cardinals top 10

Top 10 prospects

1. Stephen Piscotty, RF
2. Marco Gonzales, LHP
3. Alex Reyes, RHP
4. Rob Kaminsky, LHP
5. Carson Kelly, C
6. Jacob Wilson, 2B/3B
7. Magneuris Sierra, CF
8. Jack Flaherty, RHP
9. Edmundo Sosa, SS
10. Charlie Tilson, OF

Overview

The Cardinals' system remains deep despite years of trades and promotions, most recently the deal that sent Tyrell Jenkins to Atlanta along with Shelby Miller for Jason Heyward, but it lacks the star power it's had recently. St. Louis has been very willing to give playing time to products of its own system, even in part-time or platoon roles, and the talent base it still has is well suited to continue to supply that machine with valuable parts.

Kelly's conversion to catcher went extremely well in its first full year; he's not an average defender yet, but the arm strength is there and his work with pitchers was very encouraging. He's such a good athlete and has soft enough hands that he should end up above-average across the board, so the main question will be how much he can hit once he gets stronger. Wilson's an extremely underrated guy, even within the game, I think because he was a lower pick who doesn't have a clear position, but he's more than adequate at second (especially around the bag) and at third, and he just has a great feel to hit, making hard contact against left- and right-handers alike. Flaherty was one of the more interesting projection right-handers in the draft class, with limited pitching experience because he'd primarily been a third baseman. Sosa, from Panama, is the best shortstop prospect in the system, just 18 years old but with sure hands and great reads; I like him more than last year's second-rounder Oscar Mercado, whose defensive skills don't live up to his reputation. Tilson has continued to progress at the plate, although he hasn't gone as far on the defensive side; his bat probably won't profile if he has to move to a corner. First-rounder Luke Weaver (14) was a reach with the 27th overall pick; he has the control and feel to start but has a slight build and a below-average breaking ball.

2015 impact

Gonzalez and Tim Cooney (12) probably spend a good chunk of 2015 in the majors, Marco in the rotation, Cooney in either role. Wilson could come up midyear or later; his defensive versatility is something the Cardinals have traditionally valued highly and utilized intelligently. Reliever Sam Tuivailala (11) can hit 100 mph and has a power curveball at 79-82 that he needs to hit more consistently, since when he does, it's plus. He might be their next Proven Closer". Randal Grichuk (13) has improved himself significantly on defense, although I think he's a platoon player at the plate.

The fallen

Oscar Taveras was a top-five prospect in baseball heading into last year, and it appeared he had finally broken through and overcome his maturity concerns to secure a full-time job in St. Louis for 2015. His death in an October car crash in which he was driving while intoxicated is an enormous loss for the Cardinals and for baseball fans everywhere.

Sleeper

Sierra is a true center fielder who has good instincts in the field, runs plus and makes hard contact with great bat speed. He's not likely to have much home run power, but could end up a 7 defender with a 6 hit tool who leads off and steals a bunch of bases every year.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I should've put my list out earlier so people wouldn't think I'm piggybacking off of the national lists on Sierra. I like several players in different spots than Law, but most notably Jacob Wilson. I have him lower teens, and I thought I was higher on him than the industry!