Oscar Mercado out of the top 30

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Oscar Mercado out of the top 30

Post by jim »

Any insight into Oscar Mercado? He has had two shaky years, I have not seen him play and really don't know much him other than a couple of videos and the fact that he signed for 1.5M as the 57th pick. I know at the time some scouts thought he was the best HS SS in the country, ahead of JP Crawford.

What's going on with this kid?

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: Oscar Mercado out of the top 30

Post by phins »

Any scout who thought that saw him earlier in his career, when he was projected much better. Even when I reviewed our draft I liked Chris Rivera better.

Mercado is simply not going to hit and his defense has not translated to plus.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Thanks phins. So is he even considered a prospect at this point at all? I saw some video of him and wondered about the fielding, he has good range and is smooth but he's very "noisy". Glove slaps, throws the glove down late etc...

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

He certainly has the tools and the athletic actions to develop into a utility player, but I would say his upside is quite capped and he's more of an org type.

It's possible he could work his way into a starting role if you accept a .220/.280/.310 type SS with above average range and arm, but a propensity to flub the easy ones.

His stock has fallen quite a bit in my eyes.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

He was 19 last year at Rookie ball and by all accounts got the bat knocked out of his hands. If he doesn't develop at the plate really soon he will be a lottery ticket that didn't cash in. Which is ok. You're gonna miss on some of these guys.