2015 MLB Draft

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

2015 MLB Draft

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

We're a week out now, and I'm certainly not the best person to carry the conversation, but I can get the ball rolling.

Looked around some mocks online, here's what I've got so far for our picks:

Mymlbdraft: #23 RHP Phil Bickford, Southern Nevada JC
#39 SS Blake Trahan, Louisiana-Lafayette

Baseball America (John Manuel)
#23 RHP Kyle Funkhouser, Louisville

MLB.com (Johnathan Mayo)
#23 SS Kevin Newman, Arizona

MLB.com (Jim Callis)
#23 OF Ian Happ, Cincinnati

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: 2015 MLB Draft

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Stealing this from the GDT yesterday because it's relevant.
cardsfantx wrote:
Cheddar Tom wrote:
Matheny's son, Tate, a center fielder with Missouri State had quite a weekend in the NCAA regional. He's obviously got scouts interested and the Cardinals did draft him out of high school. That said, both father and son have decided that it would be best not to have the Cardinals draft Tate. Matheny has asked the team (again) not to select his oldest son, and he has described how he and Tate came to the conclusion after long conversations, including some with Chris Duncan and Cody McKay. Matheny said that it's Tate's feeling too, and that his next-oldest son, a senior in high school, doesn't necessarily feel the same way about the Cardinals drafting him.
by Derrick Goold 11:19 AM
I don't know good Tate Matheny is....but the Cardinals wouldn't seriously pass on a kid they liked because of that relationship would they?

we drafted him before he went to college, and matheny told us not to draft him then, but we did anyway.

if the cards want to draft him, they will. don't see why it's be different than last time (unless they just knew he wouldn't sign anyway since we was drafted in like the 20th round).

but they won't pass on a guy they like/want, just because the manager/his father says so....who knows, the team could get old/turn [expletive] and matheny could be fired before the kid gets called up anyway.

My 0.02 on the matter: The problem with the family ties doesn't sit in the scenario where Tate (son) becomes a superstar and Mike (father) is overly loyal. The problem is the scenario that played out with Chris Duncan where he is decent (and had brilliant moments) but can't handle the role the father envisions. Fathers will always be biased towards their sons, understandably so.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

As an Arkansas fan, I'm interested in where Benintendi goes. Monster year that catapulted him up the draft boards.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:As an Arkansas fan, I'm interested in where Benintendi goes. Monster year that catapulted him up the draft boards.
Same here.

#ABTC

/Anywhere but the Cubs :-)

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

letsgocards89 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:As an Arkansas fan, I'm interested in where Benintendi goes. Monster year that catapulted him up the draft boards.
Same here.

#ABTC

/Anywhere but the Cubs :-)
Unfortunately I've seen him projected to them (or within a pick or two) in several mocks.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

He seems like the type of player the cubs go after: best hitter available. I don't know if that is true (if he'll be the best hitter available) but jeeeeeebus what a season.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Just silly re Tate. Is it guarenteed Mike will be here when Tate would be ready for primetime? In spring training, does Mike have the final say on the mlb roster? Mos has control over every bit of when and if a player gets promoted. Get the best damn player available and let things play out. If he's a franchise guy, great. If he's a chip we use to get better via trade, great. Draft the best guy available to you. This a damn buisness.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Just silly re Tate. Is it guarenteed Mike will be here when Tate would be ready for primetime? In spring training, does Mike have the final say on the mlb roster? Mos has control over every bit of when and if a player gets promoted. Get the best damn player available and let things play out. If he's a franchise guy, great. If he's a chip we use to get better via trade, great. Draft the best guy available to you. This a damn buisness.
Of course but a big part of any business is managing people and one aspect of that is resolving conflicts. The problem isn't that Tate Matheny (in this situation) is the next Yadier. The problem is if Tate Matheny is the next Bryan Anderson. Remember how much animosity there was between the FO and Dave Duncan when Baby Dunc was traded (because he kept getting playing time when he didn't need it) for....uh, who was it Lopez? It's not that Mo was wrong for trading Dunc, it's that Dave Duncan was irrationally (understandably so) upset at the trade. If both Mathenies say, hey...we don't want to be in that situation and we won't be able to act without bias and if there is a guy that grades out as a 45 overall player next to Tate who grades out as a 45 overall player, take the other guy. And, that scenario is totally foreseeable in the 3rd round or whatever.

Of course, there also comes a point where if the Cardinals peg Tate as the next Posey and he is available next to guys that they project to be the next Tony Cruz, I doubt they hesitate to take him.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The Astros, who are division-leaders, get the most pool money--by $3.5MM!!!--for failure to sign Aiken last year and hold the #2 and #5 picks. Sheesh.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

isn't the reason they have an absurd amount of money in their pool because they, equally absurdly, have two of the top five picks? Sure it's ludicrous, but that's the system in place (not that it's beyond reproach).