Luke Weaver

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Luke Weaver

Post by jim »

Watched Weaver pitch in an AFL game today. Easy 93-94 and touched 96, nice change, and a good breaking pitch. He looks great, right now he has three pitches he could get MLB hitters out with. He's further behind Reyes, but if all goes according to plan we could see Weaver in St. Louis in 2017.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Luke Weaver

Post by GeddyWrox »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

If all goes well...#2 ceiling?

jim

Post by jim »

With the velocity he has been flashing this year and in the AFL, 2 for sure imo. *IF* though. His stock has skyrocketed this year. If I were to grade out his pitches yesterday it would be Fastball: 65, Change 60, and Curve/Slider 50-ish. Overall 65. That's just yesterday of course.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

http://m.mlb.com/stl/video/topic/761785 ... /?c_id=stl

Not sure if this is the game you saw, jim, but here's a video with some of an AFL outing for him.

Also, Diaz had a good game here, though he was playing 2nd not SS.

http://m.mlb.com/stl/video/topic/262716 ... query=diaz

jim

Post by jim »

Yeah that was the game. Diaz scorched that double. He also made a really bad base running mistake. I think he's ready!

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

if you had to give a comparison on Diaz, who in the majors would you say he compares to?

jim

Post by jim »

go birds wrote:if you had to give a comparison on Diaz, who in the majors would you say he compares to?
I think Luis Alicea. He is taller than Alicea but the same profile of player. In the majors now ... you have me stumped right now. I'll think about that.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Wever is one of those classic cases of taking a guy who flashed elite stuff the year before, then had a down year, slipped due to size and concerns over whether he'd be able to get that stuff back again. I liked him a lot more than the national media did, so this is one I got right.

If I start pointing that out though, start pointing out how I missed on Austin Gomber.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I'm still not sold on Weaver. I think he projects as a #4 starter at very best, and that is assuming he can throw some pitches low in the zone. If he can't do that, he only has hard fastballs up in the zone. That won't last very long in MLB.