Luke Weaver

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Cronos
In perpetuum

Re: Luke Weaver

Post by Cronos »

Speaking of Weaver: does anyone have any idea why he hasn't pitched yet?

He broke his wrist in late March and was supposed to miss a month or so. It's now June and I can't find any information on what's going on with him whatsoever.

EDIT: Nevermind, he's starting for Springfield tonight.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Cronos wrote:Speaking of Weaver: does anyone have any idea why he hasn't pitched yet?

He broke his wrist in late March and was supposed to miss a month or so. It's now June and I can't find any information on what's going on with him whatsoever.

EDIT: Nevermind, he's starting for Springfield tonight.

And ballin'.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

finished with 10 strikeouts...
Cardinals prospect Luke Weaver struck out 10 batters over 7 1/3 scoreless innings in his 2016 regular-season debut Sunday with Double-A Springfield.

Weaver missed the first two months of the season after suffering a fractured left wrist during spring training, but he showed no rust at all on Sunday night. The young right-hander walked none and scattered four hits over seven-plus dominant frames as Springfield went on to beat the Rangers' Double-A affiliate 5-0. Weaver, the 27th overall pick in 2014 out of the Florida State University, holds a 1.99 ERA through his first 122 career minor league innings. Jun 6 - 8:59 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7871/luke-weaver

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I've always been a tad higher on him than the consensus, so I hope he continues to miss bats and develop that third pitch.

To be fair, I was also lower on Woodford than consensus and he has turned out pretty well thus far.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Weaver's line tonight: 8 IP, 7H, ER, 6K.

100 pitches, 74 of them strikes.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Luke Weaver has a 0.83 ERA thru 43.1 innings at AA. 49 strikeouts, 6 walks.

Those are wicked numbers.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Socnorb11 wrote:Luke Weaver has a 0.83 ERA thru 43.1 innings at AA. 49 strikeouts, 6 walks.

Those are wicked numbers.
Average velocity in the AFL was 93.7 as a starter, good enough for 4th in the league. Alex Reyes was #1 at 95.4.

Weaver is a continuation of a Cardinals philosophy of taking pitchers who fared a little better the year before, or were considered to be a higher pick at one point earlier in their careers. Weaver was said to be down to the ~91 mph range on his fastball and as little as one mph on your fastball velocity can have a decided impact on your overall effectiveness. If Weaver does sit in that 93.7 range as a starter moving forward, he's going to have a 60 fastball for a starter to go along with 55 command and 60 control. His changeup is good enough to be a plus pitch as well, and the curveball has potential.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i wonder if we will see him this year if the need arises. seems like reyes is destined for the bullpen, at least initially.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Dunno about the rotation but the need has arisen in the pen already.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardinals prospect Luke Weaver has been promoted from Double-A Springfield to Triple-A Memphis.
Weaver earned the promotion by registering a dominant 1.40 ERA and 88/10 K/BB ratio in 77 innings with Springfield. There is growing talk of the 2014 first-round pick joining the Cardinals' major league bullpen for the stretch run. Alex Reyes could do the same.
Source: Jenifer Langosch on Twitter
Aug 3 - 9:46 AM