2016 MLB Draft Talk

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
go birds
-go birds

Re: 2016 MLB Draft Talk

Post by go birds »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... b23a6.html

zzzzzzz

may be a pretty underwhelming july 2. for a team with the cash to spend and go over their pool limits, not mention any impending penalties and CBA changes, you'd think they'd be in on the bigger names and better prospects than the 10th ranked prospect.

i dunno, maybe im just hard to please

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

go birds wrote:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... b23a6.html

zzzzzzz

may be a pretty underwhelming july 2. for a team with the cash to spend and go over their pool limits, not mention any impending penalties and CBA changes, you'd think they'd be in on the bigger names and better prospects than the 10th ranked prospect.

You think?
I would be worried if you thought everything was going to be ok.
That would be like sigh running out of gifs or fanforever not starting a gameday thead.

keep on being you go birds.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

haha true

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

go birds wrote:Well really im enamored with the idea of getting a franchise SS with a nice bat and we may have gotten that with Perez, so while i'd love to have maitan i won't be TOO disappointed if we don't.

phins, you may have already addressed it but what are your quick thoughts on Perez' offensive upside? We know he will stick at short with his glove, but can he be a Lindor type offensively?
He has one of the largest variances of any hitter in our system. If he doesn't develop from where he currently is, He's a .260/.300/.350 type hitter with excellent defense and baserunning (which is a starter for a lot of teams).

His bat speed is plus, his wrists are loose and free, his frame is strong and able to carry more weight and the bat speed should equal a lot more future power. That gives him an upside of something along the lines of .290/.340/.440 with excellent defense and baserunning, which is a superstar.

Lindor was someone I loved coming out because of the bat-to-ball skills and the recognition coupled with elite athleticism and hands. I don't know if he wass expected to be anywhere near the hitter he has turned out to be, but I think it's 50/50 on if teams would take Lindor or Correa.

As for the Birds SS, keep in mind the one we have right now is not quite 25 y/o and is 3rd in baseball for wRC+ among SS's. He's a good player.

phins

Post by phins »

go birds wrote:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... b23a6.html

zzzzzzz

A 6-6, 235 lb. right-hander already throwing 98 and sitting 94-96 isn't intriguing for you? In fairness, they're going to spend like $7 million or more on international prospects.

Look at the top prospect lists of international yesteryear and you'll see outside of the very top, the track record is spotty at best. The Cards have a very good track record with international players- especially pitchers. They tend to go after players who are little older (like 18-19 year olds) and have had excellent success with them. I had never heard of this Cuban pitcher they signed, but he looks pretty solid on paper and really fits a previous mold that was successful.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Are we gonna draft anybody worth a fudk?

~GFB

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

:blinky:

phins

Post by phins »

JD Murders signs just before the deadline.

He says he's being sent to Palm Beach, which is High-A and that would literally shock me. I am guessing he misunderstood and will be playing with the GCL club in Palm Beach? He said he was going to play with Cody Schumacher (former Missouri State Bear at Palm Beach), so maybe he is going there, but that would be ultra-rare to send a high school kid there. He played really well this summer for the Midwest Nationals and the Cards made an attractive offer.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports ... /86875288/

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

phins wrote:JD Murders signs just before the deadline.

He says he's being sent to Palm Beach, which is High-A and that would literally shock me. I am guessing he misunderstood and will be playing with the GCL club in Palm Beach? He said he was going to play with Cody Schumacher (former Missouri State Bear at Palm Beach), so maybe he is going there, but that would be ultra-rare to send a high school kid there. He played really well this summer for the Midwest Nationals and the Cards made an attractive offer.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports ... /86875288/
I'm sure that's the case. An article out of Virginia showed Connor Jones going to Palm Beach, but he shows up as assigned to GCL on MILB.com. Not that I expected him to pitch much anyways if at all (he has not this season so far).