2016 MLB Draft Talk

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

2016 MLB Draft Talk

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Way too early to really care about this, I know, but Baseball America is out with its "way too early" mock draft:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/fi ... PlTbdth.97

Has the Cardinals picking RHP Logan Shore of Florida at 23, C Matt Thaiss of Virginia at 33, and LHP Joey Wentz of Shawnee Mission East at 34.

Wentz plays in my backyard more or less, so I might have to go see him play.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2016 MLB Draft Talk

Post by ghostrunner »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 35261.html
The first 77 picks of the draft will be televised on MLB Network on June 9, starting at 6 p.m. (St. Louis time). The Cardinals’ four picks in the first 77 are the second-most behind San Diego’s five. Each draft pick is assigned a "slot" value by the commissioner's office, and those individual values are added up to determine the spending limit on each team. All the high picks — including two gifted them by the Cubs — boosted the Cardinals' purse to $9.1 million.

A year ago, the Cardinals had a $7.4-million limit. That ranked 13th in the majors.

They won 100 games in 2015 and jumped to 10th in cap space.

Thank Jason Heyward and the Cubs.

The Cardinals received two comp picks as a result of Heyward and John Lackey signing with the Chicago Cubs. The Cardinals have four picks — Nos. 23, 33, 34 and 70 — before the Cubs have their first pick, at No. 104.
This will be the first draft directed by Randy Flores, the former Cardinals reliever who moved into the role after Chris Correa's dismissal last July.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Much better draft this year. Wish I had more time to devote to baseball- and writing about sports- but we are expecting our second child and being an adult takes a lot of my time.

Maybe one day soon I'll be able to get back to being a kid again and loving all things draft.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

congrats phins.

hopefully they use all their picks on RH college arms

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jayson Stark ESPN Senior Writer

Other teams say the Phillies appear to be backing off A.J. Puk at No. 1 in the draft & moving toward Mercer CF Kyle Lewis. This is the first time I've heard speculation about them taking anything other than a pitcher with that first pick.

15m

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

That would be unexpected. I'd take Jason Groome, personally.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Baseball Amurika has us hot for Zuech if he drops. If not, maybe a guy named Tyler for the first pick.

TheCardsWay28
Single A Minor League Player

Post by TheCardsWay28 »

I really hope we draft at least 2 college bats with our 1st round picks... We have good pitching depth.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

TheCardsWay28 wrote:I really hope we draft at least 2 college bats with our 1st round picks... We have good pitching depth.
Doesn't look like it. The guys we're after in the Mocks are big college pitchers. BA speculates that we take a C with our supplemental though.

TheCardsWay28
Single A Minor League Player

Post by TheCardsWay28 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
TheCardsWay28 wrote:I really hope we draft at least 2 college bats with our 1st round picks... We have good pitching depth.
Doesn't look like it. The guys we're after in the Mocks are big college pitchers. BA speculates that we take a C with our supplemental though.
Damn! Looking for another Bader type player... Guess we'll find out in a few weeks.