2016 MLB Draft Talk

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: 2016 MLB Draft Talk

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

TheCardsWay28 wrote:
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
TheCardsWay28 wrote:I really hope we draft at least 2 college bats with our 1st round picks... We have good pitching depth.
Doesn't look like it. The guys we're after in the Mocks are big college pitchers. BA speculates that we take a C with our supplemental though.
Internationally we might go with bats. But even then we won't go all bats.
Damn! Looking for another Bader type player... Guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

TheCardsWay28
Single A Minor League Player

Post by TheCardsWay28 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
TheCardsWay28 wrote:
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
TheCardsWay28 wrote:I really hope we draft at least 2 college bats with our 1st round picks... We have good pitching depth.
Doesn't look like it. The guys we're after in the Mocks are big college pitchers. BA speculates that we take a C with our supplemental though.
Internationally we might go with bats. But even then we won't go all bats.
That's fine as long as we get Maitan!!

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Saw that Flores decided to cancel the "draft workouts" for the guys we're tied to in order to focus on a broader spectrum of scouting opportunities. Sounds good in theory. Especially since Randy will probably get a couple years grace period. So why not do something different out of the box?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

With prep bat Mickey Moniak acending the mock boards, BA likes us to be aggressive with the 1st of our picks. Pitcher Matt Manning is a guy they see us looking at. He's got a big pricetag, so we're going to have to go cheaper in 33 and 34.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Cardinals RHP prospect Junior Fernandez totaled eight strikeouts over six shutout innings Tuesday in a win for Low-A Peoria.
He allowed just three hits while throwing 60 of his 95 pitches for strikes. Fernandez is now 2-0 with a 0.77 ERA over his last two starts. He's lowered his season ERA from 3.62 to 2.94 over that span. Opponents have hit .226 against Fernandez with 43 strikeouts in 177 at-bats. The 19-year-old is tied for second in the Midwest League with five wins this year.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It's partly because I've followed him through my job this year, but I'd love to get Joey Wentz. Of course I've also followed Riley Pint but that's not gonna happen.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

lol just realized i posted the j fernandez update in this thread instead of the minor league thread. whoops.

i didn't realize until last night that the mlb draft is this week. dont [expletive] it up flores!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Latest BA mock has Cards taking Thaiss, Nolan Jones and Dane Dunning. Have a feeling that last pick (a college reliever) won't make too many people happy.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mo ... u0dDBiE.97

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Latest BA mock has Cards taking Thaiss, Nolan Jones and Dane Dunning. Have a feeling that last pick (a college reliever) won't make too many people happy.

Read this earlier today. Don't know much about College Baseball at this time of year. But the article mentions Dunning as Florida's #4 starter, but he's impressed mostly out of their bullpen. I wonder if he has upside as a starter? I like the other 2 picks.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Latest BA mock has Cards taking Thaiss, Nolan Jones and Dane Dunning. Have a feeling that last pick (a college reliever) won't make too many people happy.

Read this earlier today. Don't know much about College Baseball at this time of year. But the article mentions Dunning as Florida's #4 starter, but he's impressed mostly out of their bullpen. I wonder if he has upside as a starter? I like the other 2 picks.
College teams really only have a 3-man rotation, so #4 means he was a spot starter, more or less. Doesn't mean he can't be good (Florida is the best team in the country).

Seems everyone thinks we're taking Thaiss.