proposal for this section

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: proposal for this section

Post by phins »

Swirls wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:The problem with a minors forum is it's hard to really say that much about guys you don't actually get to see them play games ever. I mean you can look up their box scores everyday but you can't really have any indepth conversations even then.
You do realize not everyone on here lives in St. Louis, right? I myself haven't seen the Cardinals live since 2013 when I saw them in the World Series at Fenway. I haven't been to Busch III since the summer of 2009.

I have been to roughly 20-30 minor league games since my last game involving the actual Cardinals.

So yes, some of us actually get to see these guys play live. Much more so than the parent club.
I see exponentially more minor league and college games than I do professional games. It's more fun for me, honestly. I am a middle-class guy, making a nice wage don't get me wrong, but I can't rationalize spending the money it costs to drive to a game, park, eat, tickets, time spent watching the game etc. when I can watch it at home for free. I also get to use that chip for all that time doing something else, rather than having the "you went to the Cards game" conversation when I try to say no to something for my wife.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Yeah, we try to make it to a lot of the AA redbird games whenthey visit. It costs about $10 or so depending on coupons to get seats 8 rows or so behind home plate. Another $3 for a corn dog and $2 or so for a drink. Less than $20 total. PLus get to scout the cardinals up and comers.

Padsfs
Everyday Player

Post by Padsfs »

Not to be derisive, but I could easily do a Cardinals game for $20. Make a longer walk or take the subway. Eat at home or pack a bag. Seriously, you can bring food to a ballpark.

Guests may bring their own food & drinks into Busch Stadium for all games. Most food items are permitted, but guests should consider our bag/backpack policy when deciding what food to bring. Alcohol, bottles, cans, thermoses, hard-sided coolers, ice packs with hard shells, and glass or metal cups/mugs are not permitted.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Padsfs wrote:Not to be derisive, but I could easily do a Cardinals game for $20. Make a longer walk or take the subway. Eat at home or pack a bag. Seriously, you can bring food to a ballpark.

Guests may bring their own food & drinks into Busch Stadium for all games. Most food items are permitted, but guests should consider our bag/backpack policy when deciding what food to bring. Alcohol, bottles, cans, thermoses, hard-sided coolers, ice packs with hard shells, and glass or metal cups/mugs are not permitted.
I don't live in St. Louis.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The point was not so much that you can't go to a game in Stl for $20 but that it was incredibly easy, relatively speaking.

I mean, sure, you can/i] do it in Stl. But, where are your seats going to be? How long is the commute to/fro going to be? If you have a kid that loves the corn dogs...etc etc etc.

The smaller crowds, lower costs for tix, lower cost of vendors, etc all have their advantages.

cardzilla
AA Minor League Player

Post by cardzilla »

looking at this section, i ask again, please merge minor leagues into the main baseball talk section. i would kind of like to be more involved on GWR (been looking for a new forum beyond CT for a long time), but i love to talk minors and the way this section looks, i don't think that'd happen. if the sections merged, the odds of more minors talk may improve.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

If you love to talk minors why don't you post something in here to get some discussion going?

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

When I meant it was easier to watch major league games compared to minor leagues I meant because MLB games are on TV every day.

Here in the St. Louis area the only minor league baseball that we have is the independent league level Gateway Grizzlies and River City Rascals. Which for the most part are an enjoyable cheap night of baseball but the overall baseball being played at that level can be painful to watch. A lot of easy plays are missed at that level.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JoeMcKim wrote:When I meant it was easier to watch major league games compared to minor leagues I meant because MLB games are on TV every day.

Here in the St. Louis area the only minor league baseball that we have is the independent league level Gateway Grizzlies and River City Rascals. Which for the most part are an enjoyable cheap night of baseball but the overall baseball being played at that level can be painful to watch. A lot of easy plays are missed at that level.
MiLB.tv is a thing. You can watch all of the minor league games on TV that you want.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

If we're not even going to have the MLB Draft thread in the minor league section then there really is no point to having a forum just for minor leagues anymore. Maybe if you make posts about minor leagues in a general baseball forum they'll get more responses to them.