Bleacher Report: Re-ranking of MiLB Farm Systems

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Bleacher Report: Re-ranking of MiLB Farm Systems

Post by st.lewis11 »

Cardinals minor league system now ranked at #11 out of the 30 teams.....
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731 ... ilb-season

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Bleacher Report: Re-ranking of MiLB Farm Systems

Post by Fat Strat »

That actually seems low to me.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

Can't believe I'm this late to a prospect discussion!

Ok, 2 issues really stand out for me an that is Sandy Alcantara getting a "Tier 2" ranking and Jordan Hicks not receiving a ranking at all. If the requirements for tier 1 are, "Prospects who have an elite skill set and legitimate All-Star potential. These are the guys who would receive consideration for a spot on leaguewide top-100 prospect lists" then how can Sandy not be there? Dude throws 102 mph, with 3 other devastating pitches. Yes the control needs work, but he is still growing into that frame and getting stronger. Control will come. And how is Hicks, of the 101 mph FB variety with a nasty hook, not at least a tier 2?

Otherwise, I've been disappointed with how little love Randy Arozarena has gotten this season. He was ICE cold the first couple weeks, but was pretty much everything you cold have hoped for after that. He's got elite OF defensive skills, and has shown both great power and discipline (though not at the same time) this season.

Carlson is another guy who doesn't get the love he deserves. I watched him play this year and he went 3-3, BB and 3 doubles (2 righty 1 lefty). He's a tall kid who can really get into the ball, but I already knew that. What surprised me was his base running and defensive acumen. From what I saw he played an above average CF defense and a well above average RF. He was also the second fastest guy on the field after Nick Plummer, another surprise. I'd give his speed a 55.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Alcantara seems like he's way too hit-able to be a top tier prospect right now. He allowed a hit per inning this year, and when you couple that with the walks, it amounted to a 1.43 WHIP. Definitely not elite. Same could be said for Hicks.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

Socnorb11 wrote:Alcantara seems like he's way too hit-able to be a top tier prospect right now. He allowed a hit per inning this year, and when you couple that with the walks, it amounted to a 1.43 WHIP. Definitely not elite. Same could be said for Hicks.
tier 1 wasn't described as being "elite." Only good enough to be on a league wide top 100 list. Alcantara is good enough to be on such a list.

Edit: the org forced Sandy to quit throwing his sinker (his best pitch) before the season to focus on 4 seam command.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Hicks deserves way more attention for sure. He's a ground ball pitcher with nasty stuff. He halved his walk rate upon being promoted to Palm Beach.