1st Annual Gateway Redbirds Top Prospect List

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
salukifan2
Veteran Player

1st Annual Gateway Redbirds Top Prospect List

Post by salukifan2 »

Updated 12/14/2017

Hey guys! The idea of doing this was kicked around earlier in the off season by another poster and I've decided to make it happen.

Only top 20 prospects.

Send your list here ranked 1-20

Before pitchers and catchers report I'll do a tabulation. My methods are simple. if you're #1 you get 20 points and if you're #20 you get 1 point. He with the most points at the end gets the top spot.

I'll kick it off...

1.) Reyes-RHP
2.) Kelly-C
3.) Flaherty-RHP
4.) Hicks-RHP
5.) O'neill-OF
6.) JA Garcia-OF
7.) Randy Arozarena-OF
8.) Dakota Hudson-RHP
9.) Dylan Carlson-OF
10.) Harrison Badrer-OF
11.) Oscar Mercado-OF
12.) Delvin Perez-SS
13.) Andrew Knizner-C
14.) Austin Gomber-LHP
15.) Max Schrock-2B
16.) Johan Oviedo-RHP
17.) Ryan Helsley-RHP
18.) Brady Whalen-3B
19.) Jake Woodford-RHP
20.) Daniel Poncedeleon-RHP

I'm usually pretty bullish on upside in prospects and I think my list illustrates that. I also tend to value premium positions a bit more thats why you Delvin Perez on my list still and why Knizner is 15th (Fangraphs had him like #8 :shock: ).

I also like to have a few lower level guys that you can dream on in my lists. For that I chose Dylan Carlson OF 2016 Draft, Brady Whalen 3B 2016 Draft, and Johan Oviedo. I watched Carlson in person this year and was really impressed by what I saw. First, he graduated high school a year early so he played this season as an 18yr old in the MWL-a stout challenge. He managed to finish the season above league average despite being over 3 yrs younger than league average. Whalen is a switch hitter like Carlson and at Johnston City this year in 53 games he walked almost 15% of the time and hit 7 homeruns good for a .195 ISO. He got killed by a .236 BABIP and still managed to be 10% above league average. Oviedo is friggin Man, physically. Kinda like AP when was young (not that i'm comparing them in terms of talent). 6'6" mid 90s fastball that will probably get better. Working on developing breaking pitches and they are coming along. His delivery is a thing of beauty for a RHPer. Fangraphs has some video of him at this link....https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-23- ... ....scroll to the bottom of the page to see the video.

Notable Snubs
Jr Fernandez
Edmundos Sosa
Yairo Munoz