2018 Minor League Season

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: 2018 Minor League Season

Post by phins »

Under-the-radar small sample size stars:

Carlos Soto- 19.2 Y/O, putting up a great line with some pop and walking more than striking out. He's a catcher, but there are questions as to whether he can stay there. Left-handed hitter.

Zach Jackson- 20.1 Y/O, having a much better start than he had at the same level last year. The C with a lot of offensive potential was a Florida recruit last year. Left-handed hitter.

Raffy Ozuna- 19.9 Y/O, A pretty solid international signing a few years back, he has been slow to develop the hit tool. He's living off an obscene BABIP and doesn't look to be any different than the underwhelming years beforehand. Physical size excites, but probably moves off SS to 3B and then the shine goes away.

Ivan Herrera- 18.1 Y/O, probably my favorite under-the-radar prospect we have in the low-minors. He's a Puerto Rican C who has hit at every stop of his baseball life. One of youngest players at Johnson City and hitting .293/.318/.390.

Mateo Gil- 17.11 Y/O, recent draft pick has gotten off to a decent start at .289/.400/.316 but with a .026 Iso and an unsustainable .423 BABIP. He's even younger than Herrera though and showing the ability to make some contact at that age is impressive.

Sander Mora- 17.4 Y/O, tiny SS prospect who will most likely move to 2B is hitting the cover off the ball in the lowest DSL team at .383/.519/.450. Impossibly high BABIP, but good strike zone skills and making contact at that age is a solid sign.

Joerlin De Los Santos- 17.9 Y/O, a pretty much carbon copy of Mora, only he's a CF prospect with a little more pop to this point. At .342/.465/.456 he's walked more than he's struck out. When you're looking at this low of level, the walks are not the greatest indicator because of level of comp, but awareness plus contact skills are a solid sign.

Ludwin Jimenez- 16.10 Y/O, there are some solid signs with this one. He's one of the very youngest players in the DSL and has a nice pitcher frame at 6-3, 165. He's actually striking out more than a batter an inning with 27 K's in 22 IP. His walks are solid and his peripherals give him a nice 3.08 FIP and 3.03 xFIP in his first taste of professional baseball. One to keep an eye on.

Tags:

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Nolan Gorman with another HR for Johnson City today. Now has 5 HR in 42 AB's this year. Also getting on base at a .423 clip

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

InvincibleCakeEater

Arozarena made the Futures Game for some reason.

InvincibleCakeEater

Knizner added to the Future’s game

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I was the guy saying that carson kelly should be untouchable, so i'm gonna admit defeat on this one and say that i wish we would have sold high on him.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

go birds wrote:I was the guy saying that carson kelly should be untouchable, so i'm gonna admit defeat on this one and say that i wish we would have sold high on him.
Kelly is having a really nice season at AAA. .283/.366/.446 for a .357 wOBA. There's nothing at all wrong with that for a great defensive catcher. We've been celebrating Knizner, but his AA statline of .315/.382/.427 for a .365 wOBA isn't THAT much better than Kelly's at AAA. Both are 23. Kelly's defense is certainly better than Knizner's. (Knizner does have AAA stats that look good, but the sample size is small -- only 51 PA's, so let's wait a bit on that.)

We're disappointed with him because of his MLB performance. But, that is still just over 100 PA's, spread out over 3 seasons -- basically nothing. Then, if you just at the nature of those PA's, the longest sequential period that I can find where he had regular PA's was in '17, when he heard a whopping 27 PA's in the span of a few weeks. I just don't think that we can make any conclusions at all based on his MLB time. And Kelly is still just 23; still young!

I think we should definitely trade either Kelly or Knizner this offseason/deadline, but both are assets for us at the moment and neither has done much to decrease their value.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

Poncedeleon with the CGSO today, a 1 hitter.

Hudson had a scoreless inning in the Futures Game with a K and two ground balls. Sinker at 96-98, cutter 91-92, slider 86-87.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Hope the game gets the YouTube treatment so I can watch it mañana.