2018 MLB Draft

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

Re: 2018 MLB Draft

Post by go birds »

I'd be content with the cardinals not taking a single arm for the first 10 round of the draft

Tags:

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

South Florida saved McClanahan for the next game and got burned for it as their starter was toasted.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

phins wrote:South Florida saved McClanahan for the next game and got burned for it as their starter was toasted.
What do you think of Blaine Knight?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Jonathan Mayo's mock from Wednesday:
19. Cardinals: Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida

A little mini-run on college arms could get started with Gilbert and continue, after a brief interruption, with Kowar, who might get overshadowed by Singer at Florida, but has excellent stuff and some projection.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-jon ... -279050910

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Fangraphs:
19. St. Louis Cardinals – Ryan Rolison, LHP, Ole Miss

The Cardinals have been tied mostly to college talent, and a few will slide with prep-oriented teams picking ahead of them. Rolison had been up-and-down the second half of the season, but St. Louis has a track record of improving inconsistent college starters. Regarding their next pick, St. Louis has been linked to Decker and Stanford SS Nico Hoerner.
43. St. Louis Cardinals – Jeremy Eierman, SS, Missouri State
75. St. Louis Cardinals – Cal Raleigh, C, Florida State
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-ml ... aft-v-3-0/

phins

Post by phins »

Tim wrote:
phins wrote:South Florida saved McClanahan for the next game and got burned for it as their starter was toasted.
Blaine Knight is a 2nd-round type talent. He will probably make the bigs as a BOTR type. Competitive, plus athlete, lanky, might have a little bit of projection left, but he's not young as a draft-eligible sophomore who came back for some reason. He's basically the same area of the draft he would've been had he had been a little more signable last year. I'd be ok with him at 43.

I know Eierman better than any prospect in this draft. He's a plus runner, with a plus arm, who would be a 50 glove at SS. His problem is he really loves to play hero ball and struggles to identify breaking balls. Lots of swing-and-miss to his game, but his sophomore year was amazing. He's another in a long line of players the Cardinals are interested in that have had better years the year prior than this year.

I've kind of talked about the "type" that the Cardinals always seem to have early, which is pitchers who have performed better the year before and slide in the draft as college arms. Rolison, McClanahan, Kowar et al fit this type.

Law doesn't have Kowar in the first round at all and I tend to think he sneaks into the compensation round but he has fallen. His motion screams reliever and his two-pitch power mix looks like a better fit in the bullpen as well. I'd be less than pleased with him at 19, but as with any draft I'd have to see how they fit all the pieces together later before judging too harshly.

phins

Post by phins »

Oh yeah, Eierman has a really poor field temperament and off-the-field he likes to party.

I'm not convinced he has the drive to make the big leagues, he never hit on the Cape, and with Team USA he was really bad. Cadyn Grenier moved him off of SS with Team USA, but he's a 60 glove and the best SS in college (defensively).

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

phins wrote:
Tim wrote:
Blaine Knight is a 2nd-round type talent. He will probably make the bigs as a BOTR type. Competitive, plus athlete, lanky, might have a little bit of projection left, but he's not young as a draft-eligible sophomore who came back for some reason. He's basically the same area of the draft he would've been had he had been a little more signable last year. I'd be ok with him at 43.
I was hoping you were going to say that.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

19. Cardinals
Mayo: Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida -- Some think Kowar has better raw stuff than his teammate, Singer, albeit with less polish. Kowar's top two pitches are his fastball and changeup, which could remind some in Cardinals Nation of Michael Wacha.
Callis: Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida -- Unless one of the premier high school pitchers slide this far -- which isn't uncommon -- a college arm is the most likely pick.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Really doesn’t mean much of anything, but can’t find a mock draft from a credible source this morning that doesn’t have the first pick as one of Kowar, Gilbert, or McClanahan.