2018 MLB Draft

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: 2018 MLB Draft

Post by phins »

Jeremy Ydens, who went in the 40th round to the Cards out of HS, goes in the 33rd round as a draft-eligible sophomore. He was seen a top-5 round type talent out of HS and has only seen his stock go down.

Tags:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

phins wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:The only players with any video of them from the Cardinals Day 3 Draft is Kevin Vargas, a shortstop from the International Baseball Academy picked in the 22nd round and Kendrick Calilao, an OF from the First Academy picked in the 30th. I would assume these are the wishful thinking pieces.

Looks like teams are staying away from Luke Heimlich.
I am vehemently opposed to Heimlich getting a chance at pro ball. He couldn't work at my company, this isn't a situation where he never gets a second chance at life. He just doesn't get the privilege of other non-felons.

Agreed. Beth Davies-Stofka at Baseball Prospectus had a good article about it from a victim's perspective this week.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news ... f-silence/

phins

Post by phins »

Don't get your hopes up about Jaden Hill in the 38th round. No, he's not signing.

A lot of times players get picked in these very late rounds just to get them off the board and own their rights for some crazy unforeseen situation that may arise.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

And the A's drafted Piscotty's brother.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:And the A's drafted Piscotty's brother.
Lots of incest in this draft

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

lukethedrifter wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I remember his dad being a big time HS athlete back in the day.
His father is Dan Vierling, who was a good friend and classmate of mine at SLUH. Dan played football and was the basketball team's starting center, and played college football at Arkansas. His son looks just like him.

phins

Post by phins »

CardsofSTL wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:And the A's drafted Piscotty's brother.
Lots of incest in this draft
There always is. They even announce it as the relative of ____ when they make the picks. A lot of times they're simply doing the family a favor, but other times the player is legit.

In the cases of Piscotty and Kelly, it's more the former.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

phins wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:The only players with any video of them from the Cardinals Day 3 Draft is Kevin Vargas, a shortstop from the International Baseball Academy picked in the 22nd round and Kendrick Calilao, an OF from the First Academy picked in the 30th. I would assume these are the wishful thinking pieces.

Looks like teams are staying away from Luke Heimlich.
I am vehemently opposed to Heimlich getting a chance at pro ball. He couldn't work at my company, this isn't a situation where he never gets a second chance at life. He just doesn't get the privilege of other non-felons.
His record was expunged, so I don't think it would show up on any company's background check. I'm surprised no one picked him.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

St. Louis Cardinals
Link to Draft Selections

Arizona prep 3B Nolan Gorman (1) has plus-plus raw power and was arguably the top prep bat in the class; he fell into the Cardinals’ lap here… Wake Forest RHP Griffin Roberts (CBA) didn’t sign last year after closing. He went much higher this year after showing he can start and isn’t just a sideshow with a plus-plus slider… TCU 1B Luken Baker (2) had a tough college career with multiple injuries and some issues hitting average velocity, but he’s a giant and has 70 raw power, so there’s ceiling if he hits… Texas prep SS Mateo Gil (3) is the son of former big leaguer Benji Gil and is solid on the mound as well, but he has more upside as a hitter with solid-average tools across the board… Texas Tech LHP Steven Gingery (4) had TJ surgery earlier this spring. He has a plus changeup and starter traits that likely would’ve had him in the top two rounds if he’d been healthy… Maryland 2B Nick Dunn (5) is just okay with the glove at second and doesn’t have much power but is one of the top hitters in this college class… South Alabama 3B Brendan Donovan (7) got some shine from scouts bearing down on teammate Travis Swaggerty but is solid in his own right, with average offensive tools in a corner-utility-type profile… USC 1B Lars Nootbaar (8) looked like a potential first-day pick last fall but had tons of contact issues this spring; he still has 65 or 70 raw power and hit well last year… Parker Kelly (20) is the brother of Carson Kelly. He’s a relief righty from Oregon whose delivery and plus slider are tough on righties… Puerto Rican SS Kevin Vargas (22) has a utility look.
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nationa ... aft-recap/