The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Post by phins »

36.4% is not even close to "damn near half."

He's also at a wRC+ of 97 at a level that is full of 21-24 year olds. It's incredible what he did at that level, honestly.

Tags:

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

phins wrote:36.4% is not even close to "damn near half."

He's also at a wRC+ of 97 at a level that is full of 21-24 year olds. It's incredible what he did at that level, honestly.

He struck out 19 times in his last 37 at-bats (once pitchers got a book on him, I assume). Look, I'm not down on the kid. I'm just saying that this talk of getting him to the big-leagues is WAY premature.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Socnorb11 wrote:

He struck out 19 times in his last 37 at-bats (once pitchers got a book on him, I assume). Look, I'm not down on the kid. I'm just saying that this talk of getting him to the big-leagues is WAY premature.
I don't think you understand how the low minors work, because assuming pitchers have a book on him is hilarious.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

I don't think you understand how the low minors work, because assuming pitchers have a book on him is hilarious.
It's possible that I don't know. I'm not sure what that's funny, since I didn't state it as factual anyway.

Why do you think he started out hot at low-A, and is now failing to make contact 50% of the time?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

It's possible that I don't know. I'm not sure what that's funny, since I didn't state it as factual anyway.

Why do you think he started out hot at low-A, and is now failing to make contact 50% of the time?
because he just turned 18 freaking years old 4 months ago, and was in a league with guys 21-24ish...to do anything in that league at such a young age, let alone show the power he had, is nothing short of remarkable.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardsfantx wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

because he just turned 18 freaking years old 4 months ago, and was in a league with guys 21-24ish...to do anything in that league at such a young age, let alone show the power he had, is nothing short of remarkable.
I haven't denied any of that, so I'm not sure why you're making that point.

My point (and pretty much exactly what I said, in response to him possibly debuting in a year and a half) is that he struck out in exactly half of his last 40 at-bats at low-A, so we need to slow the roll. Which part of that do you disagree with, specifically?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Socnorb11 wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

I haven't denied any of that, so I'm not sure why you're making that point.

My point (and pretty much exactly what I said, in response to him possibly debuting in a year and a half) is that he struck out in exactly half of his last 40 at-bats at low-A, so we need to slow the roll. Which part of that do you disagree with, specifically?
why cherry pick the last 40 ABs? not sure what the point you're trying to make either by doing that.

and to your other point, the only person asking if he could debut in a year and a half was some random guy on a chat that was posted, and MAGA, who we know is a weirdo (just kidding)

don't think anyone here actually thinks he'll be in MLB at 19-20 years old...most likely 21 if he keeps it up, and that's damn exciting.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Even if you use all of his at-bats, he's striking out 41% of the time (39 strikeouts in 94 at-bats). He'll be fine, but he's really young and needs time to mature.

I was pretty much just responding to those who thought he might be in the majors in a year and a half. I specifically suggested that we "slow the roll". I didn't say anything disparaging about the kid. I'm not sure why anyone would take offense to that.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

36.4%; you have to use plate appearances, not ABs if you're going to talk about SO percentages to make sure you include every type of PA; and as pihns pointed out, a wRC+ of 97 at that level.

that's damn good IMO for a just turned 18 year old kid against...well "men"

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

O/U on times this dead horse is thrashed?