The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Re: The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Post by PA_Hiker »

Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Two more dingers.
I'm not sure, but I think those 2 were hit in a game back in early July that wasn't completed, and the game was resumed tonight.
You're correct in that it was a continuation of an early July game, but Gorman did hit two homers last night. Montero "started" the game in July and Stormin' Gorman finished it last night.

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

phins wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
phins wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Lefty Kris Bryant with maybe a little less defensive ability.
Woah. Kris Bryant is legitimately one of the five best players in all of MLB. Let's at least wait until he plays in this country.
Gorman definitely has potential to be Bryant with a little less defensive ability.
I'm generally overly optimistic, but I just can't hang this kind of thing on any player. It's like comparing an OF to Trout, or a soft-tossing lefty to Jamie Moyer. Those guys are incredibly rare.

Kris Bryant's worst wRC+ at any level in the minor leagues was 161 (at AAA). His worst slugging was .619. He has a 6, a 7, and an 8 win season under his belt. He was older, but he's just been phenomenal since the moment he started playing baseball. He had a .466 wOBA as a freshman. A .487 wOBA as a sophomore. A .539 wOBA as a Junior.

What is it that is making it to where we would feel comfortable projecting a guy to be a 6+ WAR player at this point in his development? Keep in mind a 3-win player is worth 50% more than what is considered an average player (2 wins). Kris Bryant is an incredible, incredible baseball player.

I'd say that the Kiley McDaniel comp. of Austin Riley is pretty great still. That's a top-50 prospect in all of baseball.
I'm definitely being optimistic but he's ascending in Bryant-like fashion at the plate, IMO, though early. There's no doubt Gorman would tear up WCC baseball too. And it's not like Bryant doesn't have flaws in his game as well. He's a complete launch angle hitter, like Gorman. Both have similar K/BB. Both have similar power potential. I don't think it's as farfetched.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on August 27 18, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Chiefs are playing at QC to end the season. Seriously thinking about heading up for Sat/Sun. Unless they move Gorman somewhere.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I have to think that next season that Gorman will start at Springfield, skipping over Palm Beach.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I have to think that next season that Gorman will start at Springfield, skipping over Palm Beach.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I think you are right.

I wonder if he will be called up to MLB before age 20.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

I'd guess Gorman starts at Peoria and moves to Palm Beach if he dominates. Both Elehuris Montero and Dylan Carlson had that treatment this year at 19, and I see no reason for Gorman to go at a different pace. Evan Mendoza at Memphis, Montero at Springfield and Gorman at Peoria/Palm Beach.

That would put Gorman on track to be in Springfield/Memphis at 20 and potentially a September callup in 2020, with a shot to be on the 25 man opening up 2021 at 21 years old. That would be tremendously fast, but possible. To come up next year would be a level of aggression that would certainly be unusual and would probably mean he's taken a step forward with both the bat and the glove, and the big league team has an acute need.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I wonder if he will be called up to MLB before age 20.
I'd wager $50 the answer is No.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

the sooner he is up the sooner he is more expensive. not the dewitt way

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Jocephus wrote:the sooner he is up the sooner he is more expensive. not the dewitt way
Any examples of this?