GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 23 19, 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: August 27 18, 7:42 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Mendoza, Montero and Gorman all are Third Baseman with Montero and Gorman being the higher prospects. I hope that they're smart in which one they choose to give the long term chance with the team and which one they use as trade bait. I guess that you could move one of them to LF if they choose not to re-sign Ozuna after next season.

PostPosted: August 27 18, 9:55 pm 
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

JoeMcKim wrote:
Mendoza, Montero and Gorman all are Third Baseman with Montero and Gorman being the higher prospects. I hope that they're smart in which one they choose to give the long term chance with the team and which one they use as trade bait. I guess that you could move one of them to LF if they choose not to re-sign Ozuna after next season.

I think you'll struggle to find a list that has Montero ahead of Mendoza, but I'm guessing you're dreaming on upside here. Mendoza gets there more with contact and glove than power, but he's also light years ahead of Mendoza in development and chances to reach the majors.

Mendoza is probably an up-and-down guy, while Montero is anywhere from A-ball flameout to a solid every day guy. Kind of what your style is on that question.

PostPosted: August 28 18, 10:36 am 
Master of Hyperbole

JoeMcKim wrote:

There's no certainty that either will be ready and isn't O'Neill slated to take over LF? Seems like he has more value than Ozuna going forward to me.

Jose/Fowler in RF seems to be fine to me. Hoping Fowler reaches his 112 wRC+ days again of course.

Honestly Gorman might just be best at 1B. We still have Baker too. Not a bad problem to have.

PostPosted: August 29 18, 12:04 pm 
tl;dr

I don't know anything about Gorman other than hearing about his power/bat potential. How is his defense and how is that projected. Last night I looked him up for some reason and I think I saw that he's made something like 19 errors in only about 50ish games so far this season? I could be remembering that completely wrong but is that just common for a player that young just starting? Do the field conditions in the low minors contribute to higher error totals? Has he been struggling at third defensively? Do I just remember the numbers completely wrong?

PostPosted: August 29 18, 2:18 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

tlombard wrote:
I don't know anything about Gorman other than hearing about his power/bat potential. How is his defense and how is that projected. Last night I looked him up for some reason and I think I saw that he's made something like 19 errors in only about 50ish games so far this season? I could be remembering that completely wrong but is that just common for a player that young just starting? Do the field conditions in the low minors contribute to higher error totals? Has he been struggling at third defensively? Do I just remember the numbers completely wrong?

For comparison's sake in the same system, Delvin Perez (defensive first SS) made 19 errors in rookie league ball. .950 fielding %

Gorman has .892 fielding %

Rafael Devers (most comparable I could find of recent top 3B that was drafted young) rookie league stats:
.905 fielding %
18 errors

Gorman did make 10 of them in A ball. Errors never tell full story though so it's best to read scouting reports.

FG article on projecting minor league defensive stats: https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/scouting- ... d-defense/

PostPosted: August 29 18, 2:36 pm 
tl;dr

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Errors never tell full story though so it's best to read scouting reports.

Or just come here and ask you guys! Much easier than reading scouting reports. At least this way people hear me typing and maybe think I'm working instead of browsing GRB!

PostPosted: September 13 18, 11:34 am 
Perennial All-Star

The legend grows, as the KLaw anoints Gorman with his approval:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/09/prospect-notes-vlad-2018-draftees-twins-franco-pitchers.html

PostPosted: September 19 18, 1:50 pm 
99% conan clips

Quote:
12:25

Kyle: Do you think Nolan Gorman can debut in 2020?
12:26

Kiley McDaniel: Given what guys like Acuna or Vlad Jr. have done lately, if there’s a guy with big time tools, and Gorman would generally fit in that category, there is some chance he could go thru 4 levels in 2 years. Would never bet on it, since the team needs to be aggressive w/promotions in addition to the player going nuts. It’s very unlikely

PostPosted: September 19 18, 6:53 pm 
All-Star

We’ve been really aggressive with promotions and he’s sustaining nutsness. I’m optimistic.

PostPosted: September 21 18, 3:27 pm 
The Last Word

He's OPS-ing .706 at low-A, and striking out damn near half the time. I think we should slow the roll here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next