Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on May 23. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Pretty brief chat this week. No bonus Q&As, either.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with ... 15879.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Does Tyler O'Neill have a future in St Louis?

Steve Adams
I don't think they're going to trade him in the next couple weeks, so... kind of!

I do think there's a decent chance he's shopped around at the deadline, but the return on him probably won't be all that high with the recent injuries, rising salary, dwindling club control, etc. He just hasn't hit much outside that outstanding 2021 season.
Brewers seem to need immediate rotation help. Any easy and available solutions to that?

Steve Adams
Quite a few teams need immediate rotation help. No, there are no obvious, ready-to-go upgrades they can just plug in. Could roll the dice on a Julio Teheran type -- he just opted out of his minors deal with the Padres -- but in general, ready-made rotation upgrades in May aren't really a thing unless they come from within.
Lol

Jon Heyman reported 2 seconds after I sent that that the Brewers are signing Teheran to a big league deal.
Okey dokey then.
I know there's alot of speculation that O'neill might be moved but would they be better off moving Carlson? It would be a bit of a sell low but with his extra years of control he should be able to bring them a pitcher with multiple years of control. There should be several teams interested in him for a SP. Guardians and Marlins for sure.

Steve Adams
It depends on the definition of "better off." Moving Carlson probably gets them a bigger return, but that's because he's also the more valuable asset, even with this year's struggles. And the greater club control gives him more runway to catch on elsewhere, break out, and make the Cards regret the trade even longer. At least with O'Neill they could say "Well he was going to be a free agent after '24 anyhow."

It all depends on what someone's willing to give up, but if you're looking for controllable rotation help, Carlson probably grants you access to that much more so than O'Neill. Guards and Marlins, as you said, are two logical partners there.
If the Pirates continue to fall off, is it possible that Reynolds still gets traded, or is that out of the question at this point?

Steve Adams
They're not trading Reynolds after he signed a seven-year extension. No team would do that. The optics are terrible. It's a slap in the face to fans, and it'd be on the mind of every player they ever negotiated with in the future.
Every offseason the expectation in Pittsburgh is that the team will trade away guys on one year deals and solid players with two or three years of control left that can bring back bigger returns. With the Reynolds extension and still being tied for first in the NL Central do you think the Pirates are buyers at the deadline this year?

Steve Adams
I think it's absolutely realistic that they add some pieces this year. That could come in the form of low-cost rentals who are only requiring them to part with low-level lotto tickets, or it could come in the form of players with multiple years of club control remaining.

I don't think they're going to dive headlong into the highest-end rentals who'll cost more pieces from the top of their farm system. The sweet spot would be getting big league-ready pieces they can control beyond the 2024 season. That's obviously difficult to do, but we see players like that moved every deadline season.
I didn’t mind the Reds City Connect. Maybe without all black pants.

Steve Adams
I like the Reds' a bit more. Some of them have been great. Not trying to dismiss the idea by pointing out that it's an obvious cash grab; it's fun to have some different looks and I like the creativity that's gone into a lot of them.
Jordan Walker over hyped?

Steve Adams
He just turned 21. He'll be fine. In general, we need to stop writing off prospects as soon as they don't hit the ground sprinting -- especially at such a young age. Not everyone is Acuna, Soto, etc.
Keston Hiura?

Steve Adams
Injured in AAA and won't be back for a month or so.

Tags: