Instant Replay

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Instant Replay

Post by CardsofSTL »

I enjoyed this article; in the author's opinion instant replay should be removed from baseball. Whether agreeing with the author or not; it is an interesting topic. And the title is awesome.
THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS GOT SCREWED: MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL’S INSTANT REPLAY IS A CRUEL LIE THAT NEEDS TO BE THROWN OUT

http://www.newsweek.com/washington-nati ... all-684514

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Instant Replay

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:I enjoyed this article; in the author's opinion instant replay should be removed from baseball. Whether agreeing with the author or not; it is an interesting topic. And the title is awesome.
THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS GOT SCREWED: MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL’S INSTANT REPLAY IS A CRUEL LIE THAT NEEDS TO BE THROWN OUT

http://www.newsweek.com/washington-nati ... all-684514
They get more right than they get wrong on the appeals. If only they had it in 1985. It is sometime a PITA but I vote to keep it.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If you read the article; he does mention that having it for big plays would make sense; like correcting the blown Jim Joyce call for Armando's perfecto a few years ago.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

How do you have it for just big calls though? Is there a WPA threshold for reviewable plays to cross?

The entire article seems to be arguing for more and more accurate replays, not less.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Famous Mortimer wrote:How do you have it for just big calls though? Is there a WPA threshold for reviewable plays to cross?

The entire article seems to be arguing for more and more accurate replays, not less.
Video replay? Take it out of the ball game.…

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I'll never understand how getting the call right is somehow a bad thing.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

To me, it's just inconsistency. Take the patriots jets game today for example. Instant replay is put in place to get the call right and the officials got the call wrong not before instant replay, but after. mind boggling.

stuff like makes me question whats even the point

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

The point is simple. Get the call right as often as possible. Umps/refs should love that, since that's their [expletive] job. They get a do-over.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I'll never understand how getting the call right is somehow a bad thing.
It's not. But I'll never understand why people blindly equate getting the call right with instant replay. Then throw in the delays. Take out the instantaneous joy/dread of close plays and it's just not worth it, imo.

I'll point to the blues/blackhawks playoff game back in 2015 iirc. There was a huge play where the blues scored a goal in the 3rd quarter, I think of game 2, to either tie it or go up 1. They watched the replay for 5 minutes I bet to see if the player was offsides. It was a matter of millimeters rather his skate was dragging or had just lifted. Either way the puck crossing the line and the trail skate coming off the ice had a difference of less than 0.05 seconds, if that. Seems, in cases like that where the difference is a fraction of a blink of the eye, trying to get the 'right' call is irrelevant and it should just go to what the linesman initially ruled.

I was originally for instant replay but have seen enough [expletive] calls that I've switched courses and can not stand it anymore. As a matter of fact, I hate it so much I tend to watch less baseball. No big loss, I know. But, it's beyond annoying to me.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Here's that call in the blues game that still [expletive] pisses me off.

https://youtu.be/5S2z49Zn3k4?t=10m39s