Talking Sellers

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Talking Sellers

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Not sure that I'm there yet with the floating around 500, still a few weeks from the break. But it doesn't take much to get my mind going in the direction that has us selling off some final year pieces, and\or some clubhouse chaff.

Ozuna is the obvious choice on offense; started out sluggish but has respectably turned it around. He's running better this year, the throwing has at times looked "fine", and he's legging out hits that we didn't seeing in 2018. He'd look great in the AL part-timing DH. But his skill set seems to also indicate that a NL team could still benefit from half a season. Not sure who id approach about a trade, or who\what id want in return; mostly because I don't trust this FO to do the right thing given its recent track record of sending out able-bodies for "just another guy(s)".

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Talking Sellers

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't think you are going to see the Cardinals go into sell mode; at least not fully. They could move Ozuna if they think they have enough inhouse personnel; but where would this team be right now without Ozuna's offense? O'Neill hasn't looked good since going down to Memphis; so depending on him next season could be a big gamble. The better question is what would it take to improve the team; should they buy? Brad Hand might be available and would look pretty good in the St. Louis bullpen; but the starting rotation needs help also. Bumgarner might be available but would he be a big improvement over someone with less mileage that might be a less flashy deal? Not sure how many starters there are that are going to be available; but probably something they should check into.

As anemic as the offense has been of late; I still think the team will hit. The pitching is much less of a sure thing.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

They're in a tough spot, for sure. I wouldn't expect a teardown. But they've hung onto guys, like Lynn, when they had no intention of even giving him a courtesy call after the seasons over. This FO is going to move on from Ozuna after 2019; but we can't afford to lose his bat, right now. It'll be interesting how this new trade deadline is viewed.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

if you're gonna move ozuna, then you may as well just go into full tear down mode. no one else is producing...he's literally our only production, as sad as that is.

it's never going to happen, but sell everyone.