Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
salukifan2
Veteran Player

Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Post by salukifan2 »

Swirls wrote:
salukifan2 wrote:Really mind numbing stuff here. We’ve got folks poo-pooing the power of a guy leading the Texas league in Isolated Power all the while being 4 years younger than league average. Get a life.

Don’t come Carlson to a guy he is 5” taller than and outweighs by 30lbs (will probably be 40lbs ina year or two)?

Carlson’s calling cards when drafted were power, patience, a slick glove at 1B and a high baseball IQ. Power has been slower to develop, but he’s also been facing pitchers 3-5 years older than him his entire MiLB career.

At age 19 in the FSL Carlson hit 9hr
At age 20 in the FSL Yelich hit 12hr.
I feel like this is a case for one of those "erroneous on all counts" gifs.

The average age in the Texas League is not 24-25. That's about the average age across all of minor league baseball. AA players average 22-23. Yes, he's still EXTREMELY young for his level, but not 5 years younger.

His calling card when he was drafted was (somewhat) his IQ but more his receptiveness and willingness to accept coaching. He was considered an overdraft in the first round, as he would sign for slot or even under slot, allowing the team to overspend on the other guys we took in the first round (Delvin Perez, Dakota Hudson, Connor Jones) or elsewhere in the draft. Randy's team recognized future power potential as he got older, but it's not like he was hitting moon shots as a 16 year old like Bryce Harper.
He IS 3.8 years younger than the Texas Leaugue average. I didn’t say he was 5 years younger than average.

He was absolutely described as a player with good power potential and good footwork around the bag at first.

Erroneous on all counts is comping him to 5’9” slap hitter like Deshield and Eaton

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

salukifan2 wrote:Really mind numbing stuff here. We’ve got folks poo-pooing the power of a guy leading the Texas league in Isolated Power all the while being 4 years younger than league average. Get a life.

Don’t come Carlson to a guy he is 5” taller than and outweighs by 30lbs (will probably be 40lbs ina year or two)?

Carlson’s calling cards when drafted were power, patience, a slick glove at 1B and a high baseball IQ. Power has been slower to develop, but he’s also been facing pitchers 3-5 years older than him his entire MiLB career.

At age 19 in the FSL Carlson hit 9hr
At age 20 in the FSL Yelich hit 12hr.
Comp is value. Not the player themselves.

ISO numbers are due to triples. More a reflection of speed and not power. Power also coming from pulling 316+ hits in cracker jack park. w/r/t Yelich, we can pick just as many failed prospect straw mans with better numbers/similar numbers too. That's why context is super important with these prospects.

I like him but it's smart to temper expectations. Trea Turner/Adam Eaton are good comps. Relax.
salukifan2 wrote: Erroneous on all counts is comping him to 5’9” slap hitter like Deshield and Eaton
Do you know what "floor" means? And not really. Eaton had similar ascension and his BsR value and peripherals are why I made the comp. Care to argue it or just be a dick for no reason? What's with the "get a life" comment? This is a message board for [expletive]'s sake.

One more time for you. DeShields = floor, Turner = ceiling, somewhere around Adam Eaton (value wise) is where I believe he falls. I hope he's better than that.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

Driven by triples? He’s on pace for 25+ hr and almost 40 doubles for 700PAs. You’re really saying his ISO is built on triples? That’s asinine.

Also how is racking up these doubles in triples if he is playing “cracker Jack parks?” What about when goes to AAA and MLB and gets to hit the new juiced balls?

Yelich isn’t a straw man. It’s a recent example of power that blooms later.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

What is the controversy here, exactly? Carlson is clearly a very good prospect. Baseball experts are pretty much in agreement here. So is Gorman. Even better because of upside.

This is good. Arguing between them is pointless. Let’s just hope they both reach their potential and enjoy the ride for now.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Fat Strat wrote:What is the controversy here, exactly?
Somebody is wrong on the interwebs. You can't just let that go.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

salukifan2 wrote:Driven by triples? He’s on pace for 25+ hr and almost 40 doubles for 700PAs. You’re really saying his ISO is built on triples? That’s asinine.

Also how is racking up these doubles in triples if he is playing “cracker Jack parks?” What about when goes to AAA and MLB and gets to hit the new juiced balls?

Yelich isn’t a straw man. It’s a recent example of power that blooms later.
His speed. Did I not just say that? He's very very fast. That's why I am looking at comps that are also really really fast.

It's possible he will have lots of power, which is why I said he might be Trea Turner. Are you ignoring that on purpose or what's the deal here? I don't get it.

It's also possible he has high Springfield power numbers because it's a park that always leads Texas league in that category.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

if he stretched zero doubles into triples he'd have a .214 ISO

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Fat Strat wrote:What is the controversy here, exactly?
the controversy is that have carlson ranked over gorman.

it's not that wild taking into consideration elements other than "springfield is a launchpad".

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Trea Turner is an awful comp!!

Fine, he’s Trout

Either way he’ll be good, just not buying his ISO in Springfield.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Yea we know