GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: August 28 19, 3:13 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Carlson was one of the names listed as playing in the Arizona Fall League this year. It seems like playing in the AFL will be more beneficial to him then getting called up in September. Right now only the starting OFs are getting any significant playing time while they're in a pennant race and with Jose Martinez and Tyler O'Neill due back soon it means even less possible playing time for Carlson. So playing regularly in the AFL makes a lot more sense. Hopefully he can make the team out of Spring Training or shortly thereafter next year.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 9:02 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

JoeMcKim wrote:
Carlson was one of the names listed as playing in the Arizona Fall League this year. It seems like playing in the AFL will be more beneficial to him then getting called up in September. Right now only the starting OFs are getting any significant playing time while they're in a pennant race and with Jose Martinez and Tyler O'Neill due back soon it means even less possible playing time for Carlson. So playing regularly in the AFL makes a lot more sense. Hopefully he can make the team out of Spring Training or shortly thereafter next year.

Considering service time, the situation on the 40 man heading into the offseason, and our general OF depth, I also think that he should not be called up this September. I really like giving Sept. exposure to guys you're going to want to play the next year, but this is a special case. I bet he debuts in May of 2020 to buy that extra year of control.

Last edited by Fat Strat on August 29 19, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 9:46 am 
Perennial All-Star

Fat Strat wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:

Considering service time, the situation on the 40 man heading into the offseason, and our general OF depth, I also think that he should not be called up this September. I really like giving Sept. exposure to guys you're going to want to play the next year, but this is a special case. I bet he debuts in May of 2021 to buy that extra year of control.

2021? did you mean 2020?

as goold has pointed out, the FO is going to give him every opportunity to play with the big club next year

PostPosted: August 29 19, 9:48 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

He should be brought up now if it helps the team win AND it doesn’t impede his growth.

That goes for anytime

PostPosted: August 29 19, 10:26 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

cardsfantx wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:

Considering service time, the situation on the 40 man heading into the offseason, and our general OF depth, I also think that he should not be called up this September. I really like giving Sept. exposure to guys you're going to want to play the next year, but this is a special case. I bet he debuts in May of 2021 to buy that extra year of control.

2021? did you mean 2020?

as goold has pointed out, the FO is going to give him every opportunity to play with the big club next year

Yup, 2020. (editing original)

PostPosted: August 29 19, 11:28 am 
Everyday Player

The Cards are a team that pretty much never mess with the service time of their players. So I would bet that if Carlson is one of the three best OF next spring, he will join the big league club on opening day. Since I suspect that Ozuna won't be back, I would think that the competition for LF will be between O'Neill and Carlson with Bader in CF and Fowler in RF (and Jmart hopefully gone as well unless no one will trade with us).

Randy Arozarena could be a factor as well although he could end up the 4th OF. His minor league stats point to him potentially being a Tommy Pham lite though so he could man an OF spot if Bader or Fowler falter.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 11:53 am 
Master of Hyperbole

PA_Hiker wrote:
The Cards are a team that pretty much never mess with the service time of their players.

Didn't they wait until after the Super 2 date for Oscar in 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe he started like right at June 1.

It's not like we've had generational position player prospect talent since him. I know they didn't mess with Flaherty's or Reyes's but they needed them to contribute in 2017 to be competitive.

I'm curious how they handle Carlson.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 12:38 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Good memory. Oscar's 1st game appears to have been May 31.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=2014

Having said that, I don't remember the context around his call-up.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 12:45 pm 
Everyday Player

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
PA_Hiker wrote:
The Cards are a team that pretty much never mess with the service time of their players.

Didn't they wait until after the Super 2 date for Oscar in 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe he started like right at June 1.

It's not like we've had generational position player prospect talent since him. I know they didn't mess with Flaherty's or Reyes's but they needed them to contribute in 2017 to be competitive.

I'm curious how they handle Carlson.

It was the end of May. I suppose it could be seen as service time manipulation, but the Cards had Holliday, Bourjos, Jay and Craig in that OF. It wasn't quite apparent yet that Craig was toast. OT probably came up about at the right time. Wish we had gotten to see him play out a long career.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 2:07 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

The cutoff varies but if I'm a betting man, I'd say they waited with Oscar to maximize service time. Especially if they were a day or so away from the cutoff...why not at that point?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next