Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

salukifan2 wrote:3-4 2 HR tonight
He's really good.

Apologies for arguing over dumb stuff. I think Carlson has a really really good ceiling.

Tags:

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
salukifan2 wrote:3-4 2 HR tonight
He's really good.

Apologies for arguing over dumb stuff. I think Carlson has a really really good ceiling.
I accept your apology and I apologize for calling you illiterate.

1-3 2B, 2 BB, 2K today

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

When should he move to Memphis?

Would love to have another 21 year old Cardinal debut soon.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

I don’t know how to judge that sort of thing. I’d like to see him play too, but I have little faith in this roster and I think we are more than a Dylan Carlson away from serious contention. So I don’t think there should be any rush.

Some speculate he will get a call up this September, but I don’t think he will because the team will likely want him in the AFL. If I’m not mistaken you can’t play in the AFL if you have time on the 25-man, right?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

meh i think he needs to marinate for awhile in springfield.

maybe start the year in memphis next year then depending on how he does, a midsummer call up.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Plus there's no reason to add him to the 40 man right now and uselessly start his clock.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Best defensive OF'er in the TX league. If we're concerned at all about his offense not quite holding up to elite levels in MLB, we probably don't need to worry that his defense in CF is going to be exceptional.

This is also fun...

CF'ers age 20 or younger with a higher wRC+ than Dylan Carlson in the Texas League since 2009?
1. Oscar Taveras - 159
2. Mike Trout - 156
3. Dylan Carlson - 142

The next best player age 20 or under was Alex Verdugo in 2016 with a 113. Carlson is in rare company. I'm trying to find a comp and really struggling. Maybe Oscar Taveras is the best comp we have.

(edit: No, scratch that on OT. I don't see it in their MiLB profiles.)

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Fat Strat wrote: Best defensive OF'er in the TX league. If we're concerned at all about his offense not quite holding up to elite levels in MLB, we probably don't need to worry that his defense in CF is going to be exceptional.

This is also fun...

CF'ers age 20 or younger with a higher wRC+ than Dylan Carlson in the Texas League since 2009?
1. Oscar Taveras - 159
2. Mike Trout - 156
3. Dylan Carlson - 142

The next best player age 20 or under was Alex Verdugo in 2016 with a 113. Carlson is in rare company. I'm trying to find a comp and really struggling. Maybe Oscar Taveras is the best comp we have.

(edit: No, scratch that on OT. I don't see it in their MiLB profiles.)
I still like my somewhere around Eaton and Trea Turner comp but that made people mad.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Well, Eaton was in rookie ball at the same age that Carlson is tearing up AA. But, I don't see him as a bad comp for profile at all from just a player standpoint. Turner's not an OF'er, so, that's an odd comp, and I'm not really seeing it offensively either. There are some similarities, but Carlson is going to walk a lot more and has done it (if you look at their MiLB stats) with much lower BABIP profile, so probably not who I would use.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Fat Strat wrote:Well, Eaton was in rookie ball at the same age that Carlson is tearing up AA. But, I don't see him as a bad comp for profile at all from just a player standpoint. Turner's not an OF'er, so, that's an odd comp, and I'm not really seeing it offensively either. There are some similarities, but Carlson is going to walk a lot more and has done it (if you look at their MiLB stats) with much lower BABIP profile, so probably not who I would use.
Big Sign got mad when ppl pointed out that they were odd comps. Big Sign said comps only mean how much WAR you’ll get and was mad when others weren’t on board.
#clarification