GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: MMA Thread II
PostPosted: October 6 19, 3:12 pm 
has a link from 538 to share

Better than expected card last night even though the mains were just ok. Really happy Izzy won. To your point trill, it really opens up the division, but I'm not sure if anyone can beat Adesanya.

PostPosted: October 8 19, 8:50 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Michael wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone can beat Adesanya.

Whittaker talked about how razor thin the margins are at the highest level and he's totally right. A millimeter further up the jaw and Kelvin Gastelum ends this hype train before it even reaches the station. Indulge me a moment of my very predictable Jon Jones worship here, but Jon being in his early 20's when he got the belt is only a tiny part of what makes his greatness. His ability to evolve with every fight is the most impressive thing I've ever seen from an athlete when these margins are as thin as Whittaker correctly points out. Jones is now in his 4th generation of beating the best LHW's in the world, and his two wins over DC are probably two of the most impressive wins in the history of the sport, considering DC's greatness.

If Izzy can indeed learn and evolve from fight-to-fight the way Jones has, he might never lose to anyone except father time or father "oh my god look at the size of my bank account why am I doing this anymore?"

I very much see Whittaker as Izzy's DC in that he's an ultra-competitor and will personalize this rivalry to a degree that brings him back to a title challenge. He'll become, by a huge margin, the second best middle weight in the world. Izzy seems like the dude that will take that challenge and push himself even further.

I think the interesting thing is what his head coach, Eugene Barriman, said after the win. He said something to the effect that no one knows what this kind of fame and success will do to Izzy. He's optimistic, but he's seen what happens to guys like Conor and Jon Jones. I also think he'll have a similar problem to Jones in that once he cleans out the division in like the next three fights, who's left? The Jones fight will and should never happen for many reasons. Bones is thirsty for someone who can get him in a fight that does 1mil+ ppv buys and there's no one at LHW who can do that, and he's so unlikable that he can't draw like that on his own. He's gotta either pick a fight with Izzy or move up for Stipe and Ngannou. The biggest problem with that is that I'm pretty sure DC is going to pound Stipe into the mat in their rematch and immediately ride off into the sunset. Then you'll have to see a Stipe-Jones fight for the vacated title and no one wants to see that. Poor Francis, who actually seems unbeatable at this point after some tough lessons learned, might be without a fight for like a year or more.

The UFC flat out cannot let Izzy fight Jones, because the strength and grappling difference is just so huge. I'm not saying Izzy can't beat Jones. I don't think he would, but it's possible. What definitely can't happen is the UFC can't let their biggest star since McGregor get sonned by the anti-hero Jon Jones.

PostPosted: October 8 19, 9:22 am 
has a link from 538 to share

Yeah, Jones is simply too big. Adesanya is actually small for a middleweight. No way he should take that fight unless we see a serious decline from Jones.

I agree with your Adesanya evolving comments. Yesterday I was thinking how he'll age. He's already 30 and I wonder how his defense will age given quickness is so key to his success. That said, every fight he looks better and better so we'll seeing a lot of growth despite all the wins and hype.

Also, the middleweight division ain't no joke and there's several guys who can bang so cleaning out the division is no small task. Costa is no walk in the park.

PostPosted: October 8 19, 11:37 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Cannonier making his way down from heavyweight is insane, too. We might all be overlooking that guy's power and athleticism. He's like the reverse Rumble Johnson, who made his way up from welterweight and is now making a comeback at heavyweight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32