John Madden retired

A forum for non-baseball sports
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: John Madden retired

Post by JoeMcKim »

Jack Buck was the much better announcer then Caray. Buck did baseball and football announcing while Caray only ever was a baseball announcer. Caray basically became famous nationwide because of WGN and people thought that hey could relate to him as he gave off the impression that he was just like any of the fans that got drunk with them every night at the local bar. Which was pretty much right on the money.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: John Madden retired

Post by thrill »

The Third Man wrote:
thrill wrote:I will miss your bus.
So, no [expletive] [expletive], because of the GRB "I will miss his [blank]" meme, invoked when celebrities die, I totally thought John Madden himself was dead, until just now, when I was reading this Deadspin mailbag:
Jon Gruden isn’t John Madden and won’t ever be John Madden. I don’t care if Madden kicks the bucket a year from now. His name, and voice, will always be synonymous with football, even to people who don’t know him.
Huh.
I also was convinced he was dead until literally just now. In fact, I can recall multiple occasions when people spoke of him in the present tense and I was like, "Huh, they must not remember he's dead."