John Madden retired

A forum for non-baseball sports
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: John Madden retired

Post by JL21 »

Freed Roger wrote:I wonder what the uber-sports fan of today would make of Harry Caray.
I couldn't stand him when I was a kid, liked him even less as I grew up, and then read a bunch of ugly [expletive] about him in (IIRC) "October 1964". For instance, he'd purposely turn the fans against players he didn't like. That's lame.

Pretty much the only thing that keeps me from full-out saying that I HATED Harry Caray as an announcer is that people that I really respect on such issues- like jim, for instance- genuinely liked the guy.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Freed Roger wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:To me he always sounded like someone who needed a drool bucket under his chin.
WTF?

Maybe its just me, but I enjoy the wisdom of the old-timers in the booth, and can tolerate their slowness at times, gaffes and confusion over plays and player names etc. Maybe thats because my love of sports, particularly baseball, is strongly associated with the old kahoots in my family -all long gone. As long as they have someone up there to keep the logistics semi-straight its fine.
I guess that came out a little harsh. I can't speak about whatever skills he has, since I'm not a big football fan. He just sounds to me like someone who spits a lot when he talks. There's a guy that on NPR that's the same way. Carl Kassell I think, though he's much worse than Madden.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

ghostrunner wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:To me he always sounded like someone who needed a drool bucket under his chin.
WTF?

Maybe its just me, but I enjoy the wisdom of the old-timers in the booth, and can tolerate their slowness at times, gaffes and confusion over plays and player names etc. Maybe thats because my love of sports, particularly baseball, is strongly associated with the old kahoots in my family -all long gone. As long as they have someone up there to keep the logistics semi-straight its fine.
I guess that came out a little harsh. I can't speak about whatever skills he has, since I'm not a big football fan. He just sounds to me like someone who spits a lot when he talks. There's a guy that on NPR that's the same way. Carl Kassell I think, though he's much worse than Madden.
Yeah, he sounds (and looks) like a big ol' St. Bernard.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

[/quote]

I guess that came out a little harsh. I can't speak about whatever skills he has, since I'm not a big football fan. He just sounds to me like someone who spits a lot when he talks. There's a guy that on NPR that's the same way. Carl Kassell I think, though he's much worse than Madden.[/quote]

oh thats alright ghost - everybody has to have same opinion as me or damnit you'll never hear the end of it.

I guess I was just surprised by all the anti-madden fervor, not really because I have this big loyalty to Madden, but moreso because I realize how out of touch with main-stream GRB opinion I am.[quote][/quote]
Last edited by Freed Roger on April 17 09, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I'm not anti-Madden. I'm just not very pro-Madden. He was just kinda there, with his silly commentary.

I just don't know how he won so many games as a coach, going by his broadcasting.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Popeye_Card wrote:I'm not anti-Madden. I'm just not very pro-Madden. He was just kinda there, with his silly commentary.

I just don't know how he won so many games as a coach, going by his broadcasting.

Oh he's smart as a whip. Or at least was. that was the point I was trying to make - that unlike McCarver, Dan Patrick, Kornheiser, Frank McQuire, Joe Theisman, etc etc etc Madden doesn't feel compelled to prove incessantly how smart he is each and every sporting event. with those guys its always "see how effin smart/witty I am" - when I hear all that, I just think "aw blow it out yer arse.!"

Shannon is a smart/ but seems dumb baseball dude too, much in this manner of Madden. I remember the Ozzie HR in playoffs against the Dodgers -with the great call by Buck - if you listen a few swings prior on a fall ball. Shannon chirps enthusiastically -"Ozzie's trying to pull that ball out of here!"

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Freed Roger wrote:I like Madden. Maybe because I'm old school. Liked Hank Stram too. Collinsworth is pretty good, but the new breed of know-it-all ANALysts generally don't suit me.

In some ways Madden is a football version of Shannon. He has fun with the game, willing to make an arse of himself just for [expletive] and grins, and rarely/never puts himself before the game. But ultimately the guy knows the game better than anyone else in that booth, but he's cool enough with that knowledge not to make a deal about it.
I'm with you on this view of Madden, along with your other posts in this thread.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I like the drool bucket thing. I have been using it. About an hour ago I said "Yeah, John Kruk is kinda funny but he looks like he might carry a drool bucket"

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

John Madden was always an added entertainment factor in games for me. I will miss him greatly.

Even more so because I am not a Chris Collinsworth fan.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

thrill wrote:I will miss your bus.
So, no [expletive] [expletive], because of the GRB "I will miss his [blank]" meme, invoked when celebrities die, I totally thought John Madden himself was dead, until just now, when I was reading this Deadspin mailbag:
Jon Gruden isn’t John Madden and won’t ever be John Madden. I don’t care if Madden kicks the bucket a year from now. His name, and voice, will always be synonymous with football, even to people who don’t know him.
Huh.