haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: John Madden retired

Post by haltz »

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

thrill wrote:FYI, Cris Collinsworth is his replacement.

My favorite commentator, I like it.
Yes, Collinsworth is terrific. I never cared for Madden.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I'll miss him, mostly because of the familiarity. When you heard Madden's unmistakable voice, or saw his face, you knew football was happening, and that made me happy. I don't think he was ever the best commentator, but I was entertained and amused by him.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I like Madden. Maybe because I'm old school. Liked Hank Stram too. Collinsworth is pretty good, but the new breed of know-it-all ANALysts generally don't suit me.

In some ways Madden is a football version of Shannon. He has fun with the game, willing to make an arse of himself just for [expletive] and grins, and rarely/never puts himself before the game. But ultimately the guy knows the game better than anyone else in that booth, but he's cool enough with that knowledge not to make a deal about it.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He didn't do it for me, but he as a broadcaster was great for the NFL.

His style isn't going to appeal to some people, maybe even a lot of people, but I really think that his style is what got a lot of semi-interested or casual fans to follow football.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Post by TabascoElvis »

The ESPN coverage of this event is maddening. The man retired; he didn't die. Move along.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

TabascoElvis wrote:The ESPN coverage of this event is maddening. The man retired; he didn't die. Move along.
Two things.

1.) Was the pun intended?

2.) Who honestly thinks this retirement is final? He's gonna Favre on this thing 12 more times. He's only 73.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Post by TabascoElvis »

Popeye_Card wrote:
TabascoElvis wrote:The ESPN coverage of this event is maddening. The man retired; he didn't die. Move along.
Two things.

1.) Was the pun intended?

2.) Who honestly thinks this retirement is final? He's gonna Favre on this thing 12 more times. He's only 73.
I couldn't resist.

And I believe he's done. Much the same as Keith Jackson, picking and choosing select games here and there. So, no, it's not final. :wink:

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

To me he always sounded like someone who needed a drool bucket under his chin.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

ghostrunner wrote:To me he always sounded like someone who needed a drool bucket under his chin.
WTF?

Maybe its just me, but I enjoy the wisdom of the old-timers in the booth, and can tolerate their slowness at times, gaffes and confusion over plays and player names etc. Maybe thats because my love of sports, particularly baseball, is strongly associated with the old kahoots in my family -all long gone. As long as they have someone up there to keep the logistics semi-straight its fine.

If you recall, NFL Hall of fame announcer Jack Buck struggled with the speed of football, and even the speed of baseball towards the end. Its a game -who cares about all the technicalities. I don't need someone up there who needs to re-invent the game each time out.

I wonder what the uber-sports fan of today would make of Harry Caray.

I do admit, sometimes its hard to see these classy old guys in the booth having to call a game when many players on the field are drugged up millionaire brats and thugs. Oh I know Madden made millions - but you know what I mean.