MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

Saw Cejudo at the grocery store again. He was in a much nicer car this time.

This has been your Henry Cejudo grocery store update for the week.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

thrill wrote:If you're a casual MMA fan who is on the fence about whether or not to buy PPV/go to a bar to watch PPV events or are curious about the sport and want a good entry point, this weekend's UFC card is a guaranteed banger. The two main events are both interim titles because the middle weight champ is out after a surgery and the lightweight champ is out because he tried to fight an entire arena after toying with and then tapping the creep McGregor, however they're both guaranteed to be incredible fights.

In the co-main you have Kelvin Gastelum vs Israel Adesayna. Gastelum is a classic Mexican-American fighter story. Comes from very humble beginnings, became a college wrestler and has developed some great Mexican-style boxing pedigree. He's got great power, and fights with a ton of heart. Israel Adesanya is a [expletive] video game given human form. He's a long, lean Nigerian-Kiwi who is maybe the greatest pure striker the sport has ever seen. He pulls out [expletive] in every fight that blows my mind. He's also an incredibly entertaining, uber-millennial personality.

The main event is Max Holloway vs Dustin Poirier. Max is by far my favorite fighter to watch. He is the most game dude I've ever seen and his MMA striking is next-level. He's the best feather weight of all time and accomplished that at a very young age. He's only 27 and his frame has filled out so he's jumping to lightweight to try and pull off the champ-champ thing. He's mastered distance and timing. He throws punches at incredibly high volume. Poirier is more powerful and a better wrestler, but we know how this fight is going to go. Poirier is going to start fast and Max is going to get his measure and then just start peppering him from every angle with constant pressure. Both these guys are incredibly tough and incredibly aggressive.

The best thing is that all 4 guys have no trouble making weight in these weight classes so the fights are almost guaranteed to actually happen. This is as sure a thing as you can get with two main event, championship fights. You'll get your money's worth.
Such a great card deserved better:
Dave Meltzer reported on The Wrestling Observer Newsletter that UFC 236 nabbed less than 100,000 pay-per-view buys. The UFC 236 prelims scored 893,000 viewers. UFC 236 featured two interim title bouts. This was the first event where fight fans in the United States had to purchase a UFC PPV through ESPN+.
https://www.mmanews.com/ufc-236-reporte ... -ppv-buys/

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The ESPN+ interface is [expletive]. It's going to naturally deflate buys by adding that single barrier to entry, but when you can't order straight from the app, it makes it way worse.

I knew it would be low, but I didn't think it would be below 100k. This weeken's card might not break 50.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Jon Jones talks about why DC won't ever fight him at 205 and he won't fight him at HW.
Very insightful stuff from Bones. Disappointing because it's the fight that every MMA fan wants to see the most, but honestly, he has zero to prove. He beat one of the greatest of all-time twice, very handily, at 205.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Prepare your eyes and minds for war. Cowboy Cerrone is fighting Tony Ferguson this Saturday. That this isn't a 5 round main event is an incredible bummer, but I'll take 3 rounds of the two craziest mf'ers in MMA and be happy for what I get.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Cerrone vs Ferguson is going to be a banger. I think the main event is interesting as well.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go see it live tomorrow. No one in my life wants to go to an MMA event, but I could probably get a single ticket for pretty cheap. I doubt I'll do it because I've heard live MMA isn't that great due to visibility from the cage and there's a lot of waiting between fights. On the other hand, it's something I'd like to experience once in my life.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:Cerrone vs Ferguson is going to be a banger. I think the main event is interesting as well.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go see it live tomorrow. No one in my life wants to go to an MMA event, but I could probably get a single ticket for pretty cheap. I doubt I'll do it because I've heard live MMA isn't that great due to visibility from the cage and there's a lot of waiting between fights. On the other hand, it's something I'd like to experience once in my life.
Me too, but when they were in Phoenix this year, tickets were ridiculous for seats with a decent view.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

thrill wrote:
Michael wrote:Cerrone vs Ferguson is going to be a banger. I think the main event is interesting as well.

Me too, but when they were in Phoenix this year, tickets were ridiculous for seats with a decent view.
I'm fairly certain if I just go to the arena I could get a good single ticket for less than half face value. With events like these it's pretty common for someone in a group to cancel at the last minute and the people who are excited to see the event don't want to wait around to get a better price. I get single Cubs v Cards tickets at Wrigley all the time because the field is a short bike ride away from me. The one difference with MMA is people don't show up at the same time which kind of complicates things. For baseball I just wait until they announce lineups and I can pretty much name my price. I've gotten great seats for a little more than the cost of a beer.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I ended up going on Saturday. Here were my impressions:

Pros
-The card was deep and awesome
-Going solo I was able to find a good single ticket for under face value. I was close enough to see the action, but a was high enough where the cage didn’t obstruct my view like the floor level seats.
-Starting with Ferguson vs Cerrone atmosphere was electric and had playoff levels of hype
-Everyone around me was super friendly. I befriended another solo ticket guy next to me which was fun.

Cons
-Although I had a good seat, viewing MMA live isn’t ideal. Due to angles or the type action I’d estimate I watched around 50% of each fight on the screen above the cage
-Not everyone arrives at the same time so getting a ticket before the show was a pain and I won’t be doing that again. I didn’t end up getting a great deal on the ticket I purchased and it felt like a bit of a waste of time.
-I recommend only going to MMA events with great cards that you’re interested in (ie not fight nights). For me MMA live is all about experiencing the hype of the big fights. Now I totally understand why people skip the early prelim because it can feel like a grind being at an event center so long.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Thanks for the recap, Michael. Never been to a boxing or MMA event live but that all made a lot of sense.