MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by clevername »

so, when do MMA fights start getting fixed to have the charismatic stars stay at the top?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

When they go back to WWE?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

thrill wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
thrill wrote:Fedor playing hard ball. He's going to get a historic contract. If he signs to fight Lesnar, he could get the first 8 figure pay day.
He needs a fight. The "Brocktagon" is gonna take some getting used to. Everyone is saying that he'll step into the UFC for a championship match right off the bat...I'd like to see him dismantle Couture in the 1st round.
I agree. Plus they'll need to build up some animosity and hype for the big showdown. I hate to validate Brock's antics, but the perfect scenario is they each have one more fight, they both win and Brock points to him and starts screaming at him from the Octagon after his win. Then you get the loud, scary American acting a fool and the quiet, scary Russian just blowing him off. It'd be like Hendo-Bisbing times 100.

I love this post. It reminds me of Rocky 4.

I'm in complete agreement.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I would not like this Fedor guy as my brother-in-law.

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

lukethedrifter wrote:I would not like this Fedor guy as my brother-in-law.
I wouldn't like him as the guy who lives 25 houses down from me. Unless I saved his cat from a tree or something.

And yes, I do picture Fedor Emelianenko having a cat.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

thrill wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
thrill wrote:Fedor playing hard ball. He's going to get a historic contract. If he signs to fight Lesnar, he could get the first 8 figure pay day.
He needs a fight. The "Brocktagon" is gonna take some getting used to. Everyone is saying that he'll step into the UFC for a championship match right off the bat...I'd like to see him dismantle Couture in the 1st round.
I agree. Plus they'll need to build up some animosity and hype for the big showdown. I hate to validate Brock's antics, but the perfect scenario is they each have one more fight, they both win and Brock points to him and starts screaming at him from the Octagon after his win. Then you get the loud, scary American acting a fool and the quiet, scary Russian just blowing him off. It'd be like Hendo-Bisbing times 100.
This is pretty much perfect. Fedor needs a fight to stay in shape and Randy has always wanted to fight him. It's been talked about for a long, long time and neither man is getting any younger.

clever, if a fight was fixed it was Bisping vs Hamill in the UK. I'm no more than a casual fan that doesn't fully understand the points system in MMA, but it sure looked to me like Hamill dominated Bisping. But the hometown boy won on points.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

I know next to nothing about any of it, just what little I've seen on ESPN and all the message board hoopla. I've seen clips of fights but have never sat down to watch it. I think boxing is brutal as it is, this takes it too far in my opinion.

It strikes me as a venue ripe for corruption, maybe even more so than boxing in that the events look like they've been produced by Vince McMahon and are attended by fans who previously/continue to support his brand of entertainment.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

clevername wrote:I know next to nothing about any of it, just what little I've seen on ESPN and all the message board hoopla. I've seen clips of fights but have never sat down to watch it. I think boxing is brutal as it is, this takes it too far in my opinion.

It strikes me as a venue ripe for corruption, maybe even more so than boxing in that the events look like they've been produced by Vince McMahon and are attended by fans who previously/continue to support his brand of entertainment.
Boxing is as about as tame as it gets.

UFC/MMA however you wanna quantify it is a very brutal sport. It's been tamed down from what it used to be, but tossing it in with the Vince McMahon productions? Fighters walk in with music in the background.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

I'm referring more to the clientele. It feels like a legitimized wrestling for a lot of folks. I wouldn't be surprised to see MMA fighters walking to the ring or octogon or whatever with music and gestures towards the crowd.

If there's one thing McMahon knows, it's how to cater to his fanbase, get them riled up, and make money off that with attendance and PPV. I imagine the people in charge of MMA have similar goals and that's a business model that's been around for ages to follow. I'm not saying the current shows are WWE clones (I honestly wouldn't know as I've never watched an MMA show) but the bits and pieces I've seen have had elements in them I could see developing into a WWE style.

I'm probably a bit biased on this based on seeing what a lot of college age/young adult male types discuss about it on some of the college football boards I peruse...but that's the market ole Vince is going after, too.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Just found out from a girl at work that her husband wrestled with Henderson in high school. I guess they were BFF then and are still fairly good friends. "Danny" as she calls him.