MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Michael »

Better than expected card last night even though the mains were just ok. Really happy Izzy won. To your point trill, it really opens up the division, but I'm not sure if anyone can beat Adesanya.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote: I'm not sure if anyone can beat Adesanya.
Whittaker talked about how razor thin the margins are at the highest level and he's totally right. A millimeter further up the jaw and Kelvin Gastelum ends this hype train before it even reaches the station. Indulge me a moment of my very predictable Jon Jones worship here, but Jon being in his early 20's when he got the belt is only a tiny part of what makes his greatness. His ability to evolve with every fight is the most impressive thing I've ever seen from an athlete when these margins are as thin as Whittaker correctly points out. Jones is now in his 4th generation of beating the best LHW's in the world, and his two wins over DC are probably two of the most impressive wins in the history of the sport, considering DC's greatness.

If Izzy can indeed learn and evolve from fight-to-fight the way Jones has, he might never lose to anyone except father time or father "oh my god look at the size of my bank account why am I doing this anymore?"

I very much see Whittaker as Izzy's DC in that he's an ultra-competitor and will personalize this rivalry to a degree that brings him back to a title challenge. He'll become, by a huge margin, the second best middle weight in the world. Izzy seems like the dude that will take that challenge and push himself even further.

I think the interesting thing is what his head coach, Eugene Barriman, said after the win. He said something to the effect that no one knows what this kind of fame and success will do to Izzy. He's optimistic, but he's seen what happens to guys like Conor and Jon Jones. I also think he'll have a similar problem to Jones in that once he cleans out the division in like the next three fights, who's left? The Jones fight will and should never happen for many reasons. Bones is thirsty for someone who can get him in a fight that does 1mil+ ppv buys and there's no one at LHW who can do that, and he's so unlikable that he can't draw like that on his own. He's gotta either pick a fight with Izzy or move up for Stipe and Ngannou. The biggest problem with that is that I'm pretty sure DC is going to pound Stipe into the mat in their rematch and immediately ride off into the sunset. Then you'll have to see a Stipe-Jones fight for the vacated title and no one wants to see that. Poor Francis, who actually seems unbeatable at this point after some tough lessons learned, might be without a fight for like a year or more.

The UFC flat out cannot let Izzy fight Jones, because the strength and grappling difference is just so huge. I'm not saying Izzy can't beat Jones. I don't think he would, but it's possible. What definitely can't happen is the UFC can't let their biggest star since McGregor get sonned by the anti-hero Jon Jones.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Yeah, Jones is simply too big. Adesanya is actually small for a middleweight. No way he should take that fight unless we see a serious decline from Jones.

I agree with your Adesanya evolving comments. Yesterday I was thinking how he'll age. He's already 30 and I wonder how his defense will age given quickness is so key to his success. That said, every fight he looks better and better so we'll seeing a lot of growth despite all the wins and hype.

Also, the middleweight division ain't no joke and there's several guys who can bang so cleaning out the division is no small task. Costa is no walk in the park.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Cannonier making his way down from heavyweight is insane, too. We might all be overlooking that guy's power and athleticism. He's like the reverse Rumble Johnson, who made his way up from welterweight and is now making a comeback at heavyweight.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Are we finally going to get the fight the world wants to see? Ferguson vs Khabib in April. I've hyped up Ferguson, but I think Khabib is on a different level. Regardless, it should be fun.

Also, I can't blame Conor for taking a warm-up fight against Cerrone. He need to shed the ring rust. That said, lol @ ducking Gaethje and to a lesser extent Masvidal.

Finally, I already kinda miss Ben Askren? I kind of hated on him, but like I read elsewhere at least he was doing his own thing and not trying to be McGregor 0.8.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I never miss a Max Holloway card but for some reason I'm just not as hyped for 245 as I would normally be with a card that good/interesting. It's the Colby factor. I just get so exhausted with the whole thing.

I also agree that Khabib is on a other level, but the thing about Ferguson is that he's such a lunatic that it's impossible to count him out. His strikes just land differently. They slice and batter at the same time. He is as dangerous in his 10th planet rubber guard on his back as he is on top. I truly believe that Tony is a much better MMA wrestler than Khabib is an MMA striker. The question is, is Khabib's wrestling so transcendent that the second best wrestler in his division is so far below him in that area that it doesn't matter how well rounded the rest of his skills are?

I think this is similar to Jon Jones vs DC in that we're probably watching the two most dangerous lightweights to ever do it. I might pick Ferguson in that matchup. Tony Ferguson doesn't go to a decision against Al Iaquinta, regardless of circumstance. Cowboy smoked Iaquinta, and Ferguson dominated Cowboy. You don't have to look further than Iaquinta to see that MMA math doesn't always work that way, (Ragin Al beat Masvidal. Masvidal beat Cowboy. Cowboy beat Ragin Al). Regardless of who I pick, if Khabib wins, he's instantly in my personal GOAT picture.

Also, I like Justin Gaethje as much as the next MMA fan with a voyeuristic blood lust, but people like Poirier coming out and saying he's the biggest threat to Khabib are just wrong. It's El Cucuy and it's not up for dispute.
Last edited by thrill on December 4 19, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I feel exactly the same way about 245. It just does nothing for me. Colby sure as hell isn't getting my money.

I was re-watching some Ferguson fights and I actually think his best weapon is his jab with those huge fists of his. It just [expletive] people up more than any other jab I've seen. It doesn't seem possible.

That said, my concern is he gets too sloppy and Khabib's wrestling neutralize those viscous elbows he throws. But yeah, if anyone can beat Khabib it's Tony. I'll be rooting for him.

I also disagree that Gaethje is the biggest threat, but his last few fights have shown significant steps forward in his approach and my opinion of him on the rise. The lightweight division is STACKED

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Covington
Holloway
Nunes
Moraes
Yan

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Agree, except I'll take Usman. That's a tough match to call so I'll go with what I want to happen.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:Agree, except I'll take Usman. That's a tough match to call so I'll go with what I want to happen.
Hahaha opposite. I don't have a pick, so I'm bracing myself for disappointment.