Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Jocephus »

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Kimbo Slice died yesterday. Cause unknown, as of yet.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Resurrecting this thread because I'm super excited for Woodley-Wonderboy II and Nurmagomedov-Ferguson this weekend.

Anybody else going to watch? I have no idea who's winning the main event.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Bisbing v St. Pierre for the MW title is on for this summer.

Part of me likes the super fights because they're fun. Part of me hates them because there are like 5 legit guys that could compete for and possibly beat Bisbing for that belt that haven't been sitting out for three years.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Nurmagomedov-Ferguson is cancelled. Khabib was hospitalized with weight cutting complications.

[expletive] [expletive] [expletive]

Man I wanted to see that fight.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

thrill wrote:Resurrecting this thread because I'm super excited for Woodley-Wonderboy II and Nurmagomedov-Ferguson this weekend.

Anybody else going to watch? I have no idea who's winning the main event.
Looking forward to seeing the rematch. Is it ppv or fox or fs1?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

thrill wrote:Bisbing v St. Pierre for the MW title is on for this summer.

Part of me likes the super fights because they're fun. Part of me hates them because there are like 5 legit guys that could compete for and possibly beat Bisbing for that belt that haven't been sitting out for three years.
Right. GSP is in the running for GOAT imo and has always been my favorite. And its not so much tough to justify a titlse shot as itbis to leapfrog everyone else.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

[expletive] [expletive]. Set my alarm to wake up an hour ago and hit the snooze (aka off) button and missed it. Apparently it was pretty decent but not as good as their last one?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:[expletive] [expletive]. Set my alarm to wake up an hour ago and hit the snooze (aka off) button and missed it. Apparently it was pretty decent but not as good as their last one?
It was a terrible fight. Both guys did the smart thing - Wonderboy had total control of the Octagon, pinned Woodley back against the cage, and waited just out of range of his sprinting flurry punches and Woodley was patient and careful to avoid Thompson just point-striking him all night or catching him with a big counter.

I appreciate the tactics and execution, but it was too boring for a card that lost it's most exciting fight the day before. I think their styles will prevent them from ever having a really great fight or definitive winner.

Just based on what he says, I think Woodley is going to hold out for one of these "super" fights by going up or down a weight class. I'd almost guarantee he tries to get the winner of GSP-Bisbing which should absolutely NOT happen. There are just way too many deserving middle weight contenders for that. You can step over Jacare, Romero, Weidman, and Mousasi if you're GS f'ing P, but you can't if you're Tyron Woodley and you haven't had a convincing title defense yet. If the middleweight thing doesn't pan out, he'll try to call out McGregor, but honestly, I think his best bet at a fight people want to see is Khabib Nurmagomedov moves up a class to make up for this last weight cut issue and fights Robbie Lawler and Woodley takes the winner of that. Then whoever wins that will take either a rematch if Woodley loses or Thompson if it's one of the other guys. Then we'll get Interim LW champ Tony Ferguson vs McGregor when the Mayweather thing finally shakes out.

I actually like Woodley. I think he's smart and I like that he's an StL guy, but I'm sick of these guys trying to fix up a gimmicky, big purse fight rather than just defending their belt against their division, even if I appreciate why they're doing it.