MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by JohnnyJay »

Lesnar did no favors to the UFC by bashing A-B...I'm just not a fan, but realize that he has the potential to be as unbeatable as you can get with experience. I'm not sure that Fedor could realistically beat him at this point, and I think that Dana and the UFC are banking on that.

And Hendo's KO was fantastic...reminiscent of the early Hendo fights.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

JJ in the house!
Yeah that post-fight speech was obnoxious. With the A-B bashing, flipping off the crowd and all that WWE bull crap. I don't think the sport needs that garbage, but honestly it could work if they harness him a little. I know if he rattles off a huge win streak, I'm going to be a huge fan of whoever takes him down.

Dana White is going to get Fedor
White said he expects to sign Fedor Emelianenko, the Russian superstar whom he has long but futilely chased, in the near future. Emelianenko has a fight against Josh Barnett on Aug. 1 for Affliction, but White said he’s confident he’ll be able to reach a deal to finally bring Emelianenko to the sport’s biggest stage.

“I’m a big believer in having free fights on television,” a weary White said following the bout. “I grew up a huge boxing fan and I used to see all the big fights on ABC’s ‘Wide World of Sports’ and USA’s ‘Tuesday Night Fights.’ What happened with the boxing model is, when the pay model came along, everyone got greedy and you never saw good fights on free TV.

“We do the exact opposite. We put on 12 or 13 fights on pay-per-view a year that our fans pay for. I believe when you put on pay-per-views and the fans are buying, you need to give back to them and have big fights on free TV, too.”

Only a few weeks ago, it would have been difficult to imagine seeing Lesnar, who is clearly the company’s pay-per-view star, appearing on free television. But White understands that by giving something away, you create more demand for it.

Ali became arguably the world’s most popular athlete fighting nearly all of his matches on free television.

Lesnar is going to be on pay-per-view for the bulk of his career, but White knows what a furor he’d create by putting the former NCAA Division I wrestling champion and WWE star on basic cable or, even better, network TV.

The sport took a huge step forward Saturday, despite Lesnar’s disgusting antics after the fight in which he made an obscene gesture to the fans, mocked one of the company’s primary sponsors and spoke of having sex with his wife.

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

Yeah, he's been talking about signing Fedor for years...and I agree, if they can market Lesnar correctly, it could be huge for them. As much as I don't want to admit that Lesnar can do this thing, he can, and will only get better.

I mean, what better way to nullify a BJJ guy than putting all 280 pounds on top of him and keeping his shoulders square to the mat...and of course having fists the size of basketballs reigning down on your face helps a bit too! ;)

Can you imagine if Brock could have mounted Mir? He did all or most of the damage from half guard.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Johnny! You're absolutely correct about Dana spouting that for years now. No UFC HW can claim to be the best as long as Fedor is out there. What's Fedor got to prove in the UFC? He dispatches all their former champs (some very recent) and makes a boatload of money doing it.

That said, I'd love to see Lesnar step into Fedor's world. Pride rules. Let the man kick him while he's down. This is one of the coolest videos I've ever seen on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

Tambourine Man wrote:Johnny! You're absolutely correct about Dana spouting that for years now. No UFC HW can claim to be the best as long as Fedor is out there. What's Fedor got to prove in the UFC? He dispatches all their former champs (some very recent) and makes a boatload of money doing it.

That said, I'd love to see Lesnar step into Fedor's world. Pride rules. Let the man kick him while he's down. This is one of the coolest videos I've ever seen on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

That is a cool video. Fedor is just a machine. His technique and timing are just about as perfect as one could get. I still have never seen someone manhandle Sylvia as quickly and accurately as Fedor did. That was insane. And I don't care what people say...about how Sylvia was "washed up" at that point. The dude is 6' 8", almost 300 pounds. You would have thought he was 5'5", 125 with how easily Fedor beat him.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I watched some videos of Fedor last night - his technique is simply breathtaking, and he can flat-out brawl too. I haven't watched much MMA, but from the little I've seen he's the absolute king.

Judging from his matches Sambo is an awesome fighting technique. Most of the submissions are from joint locks as opposed to choking.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I still think Anderson Silva is the best pound-for-pound. He maybe needs to lsoe a fight to get the hunger back, but he is unbelievably athletic and clinical.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

He's my favorite fighter to watch by a mile. I'm looking forward to Fedor/Barnett, though. Barnett's no chump.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Another thing I found interesting is how willingly Fedor breaks a favorable hold in order to attempt a better position. He's constantly working his opponent from all different directions. It must be really disorienting to fight him.

Again, I haven't watch much MMA, so maybe all fighters are like him now. Anyway, it was really something to see. I haven't watched Lesnar, but he'll have his hands full with Fedor. Speed and strength will only get you so far.

edit - After thinking about it I suspect the reason he breaks "favorable holds" is due to my earlier point about joint locks as opposed to chokes. I bet with limb submission I'm sure he needs to create different space and position than a grappler that primarily chokes opponents.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I don't think giving up favorable position would be a good idea with Lesnar.

Mir tried the same thing and Brock just sat on him and with the power he can generate with short punches, he'll knock you out.