accepts no jimitators

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Tambourine Man »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
clevername wrote:
Boxing is as about as tame as it gets.
I'm curious what you mean.
Heh, that statement does look awkward standing alone.

For sanctioned sports that invole people trying to kill the other people occupying the same small area, boxing is tame. MMA has been dumbed down just to remain legal. It'll make headlines again as the popularity grows.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Tambourine Man wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
clevername wrote:
Boxing is as about as tame as it gets.
I'm curious what you mean.
Heh, that statement does look awkward standing alone.

For sanctioned sports that invole people trying to kill the other people occupying the same small area, boxing is tame. MMA has been dumbed down just to remain legal. It'll make headlines again as the popularity grows.
I didn't mean to take it out of context. I figured that's what you meant and I suppose it's all relative but I think boxing is about as brutal a sport as should be acceptable in a modern society.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

But, but, but...I won't refute any of that. It is a brutal sport. Though I will say that I'm not convinced the long-term health effects are any worse than boxing. Brain injuries just keep adding up. MMA fighters don't take those shots as consistently as boxers. And the really good ones rarely get hit.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

thrill wrote:Why the UFC-Fedor deal broke down: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
I really don't understand what M-1 is thinking...it seems that whenever Dana and the UFC make concessions, they continually ask for more. Fedor is great, but it's not worth giving up 50% of your ENTIRE company. That's just ridiculous IMO. Personally, I don't really care if Fedor comes to the UFC. This kind of stuff only keeps the Fedor hype even larger (and with good reason).

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Dana White? Not happy.
News of the Fedor Emelianenko signing filtered out around 12:20 p.m. ET. It's safe to say UFC president Dana White heard about it almost immediately even though he's dealing with business Abu Dhabi. Nice job by Strikeforce to prevent any leaks and spring this on us with zero warning. It's a great signing by Strikeforce. White worked hard and with a very open attitude on signing the world's No. 1 heavyweight but Scott Coker beat him to the punch:

"I'm in Abu Dhabi right now and my reaction is Fedor is a [expletive] joke," White told Cagewriter saying he was unavailable for Monday interview on ESPNRadio1100 at 2:40 p.m. ET. "[He] turns down a huge deal and the opportunity to face the best in the world to fight nobodies, for no money. Fedor is a [expletive]."

UPDATE: White followed up with a text at 5:32 p.m. ET:

"I feel sorry for the real fans! I wanted to make the deal but it takes two and it is VERY obvious Fedor doesn't want to fight the best and doesn't give a [expletive] about the fans."

dexter
Veteran Player

Post by dexter »

imo, fighting is the truest form of sport. as joe rogan said - "your friend dunks on you, whats the first thing you say? 'I could still beat your ass'" its natural. man to man just beating the [expletive] out of each other. boxing is crap tho.

i think dana white is terrible for mma. he's made it what it is today but i dont like this publicity [expletive] he continues to pull.

folks, internet folks, are saying that white wont allow fedor to leave ufc undefeated. not sure why but thats what is being said.

/hopes fedor destroys brock
//and pisses on ufc's ashes after he burns it to the ground.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Liking fighting and not liking the UFC is akin to liking cars and hating Ferrari's.

dexter
Veteran Player

Post by dexter »

thrill wrote:Liking fighting and not liking the UFC is akin to liking cars and hating Ferrari's.
like everything, ufc isnt perfect but i really hate dana white.