MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

What was that Shevchenko head kick like live?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

thrill wrote:What was that Shevchenko head kick like live?
When it happened, admittedly with a tinge of excitement, I cringed and did a "oooooh" with owl eyes to the guy next to me. He did the same with me. After like 15 seconds when she wasn't moving there was a wave of concern and murmuring throughout the united center. That was a brutal head kick. You really hear the smack sounds of the hits live.
Last edited by Michael on June 10 19, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I thought there was a good chance she wouldn't wake up.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Yup, I felt the same way.

For whatever reason I think brutal MMA fights/knockouts between women affect me more. Without a doubt, Nunes vs Pennington is the most awful fight I've ever seen. It haunts me to this day. Maybe I'm just more desensitized to men being violent with each other.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

You just don't see that toe curling knock out power very much in the women's fights. When they get starched and go stiff like rigor mortis, it's troubling. Edson Barboza v Dan Hooker & Dan Henderson v Michael Bisbing I were some of the only men's fights that made me genuinely uncomfortable like that. Pennington-Nunes & Barboza-Hooker are similar fights where one person was just too tough for their own good and you had to watch them get absolutely beaten to a pulp for round after round. Holloway-Ortega was pretty bad in that way too.

I hate Dan Henderson to this day because he made his brand's logo the silhouette of him unnecessarily dive bombing Bisbing AFTER he had already starched him. One of the dirtiest things I've ever seen.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Holloway v Ortega was horrible too. Like Pennington, the corner should have thrown in the towel after the 4th.

Speaking of horrible violence, Ferguson in the 2nd was nasty, but it was kinda beautiful too. He's just on a different level. I think there's a coherent argument to be made he's the best pound for pound fighter in MMA right now. I'm not sure I'd make that argument, but he at least should be in the conversation. Ferguson doesn't just win, he annihilates his opponents. Anyone who fights him looks like a mess afterwards. If I were in the lightweight division, like Conor, I'd avoid him like the plague. He's the type of fighter who can ruin you. Poirier getting a shot at the title first is a legit bummer. The LW division is stacked.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

There are like 6 guys in the LW division who could have been champion at any point before Khabib and Tony came the forefront but will never get it done. They are truly on a totally different level than even the other elite LW's like Poirier and MacGregor imo. Ferguson's damage is legitimately different than other fighters. They were talking about it on the telecast how he has huge hands and sharp elbows and how they think that contributes. I think that probably helps, but he just hits quicker and harder than most guys and he doesn't even have to throw his whole body into it. He can hurt you just throwing from waist level. No one leaves the cage without lifelong damage after facing him.

We have to get that fight. If we don't, it's one of the all-time sports injustices. It's not just because they're by far the two greatest in the division, they also have such different styles that I have no freaking idea who would win. In fact, I don't want just one fight with those guys, I want a trilogy.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I think just about every MMA enthusiast has that match at the top of their list. I can't think of another fight I'd rather see more. Nothing comes even remotely close.

I'm not sure how it looked on TV, but Cerrone was totally lost in the 2nd. Cerrone's body language (something that's easier to pick up live IMO) was terrible. It was like Ferguson was toying with him and he knew it. That shouldn't happen to a super tough elite vet like Cerrone. I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Cerrone writes an autobiography one day and admits he blew his nose because he was either majorly concussed or he wanted to throw in the towel without actually doing it. It reminded me how Khabib dismantled Barboza on the ground, but even more terrifyingly violent. The calls for a Cerrone vs Ferguson rematch are laughable.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

UFC 239 is very uninspired. I just hope Masvidal stomps Askren. That's about it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:UFC 239 is very uninspired. I just hope Masvidal stomps Askren. That's about it.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: