General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

Great article summing up the Guardiola era of Barcelona. Unquestionably one of the legendary managerial reins, albeit short-lived, in sports history.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/788 ... steps-down

I'm not a Barcelona supporter or hater, but I'll certainly miss that man's autobús.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The parade of summer cash grabs are being scheduled.
Chelsea v AC Milan in Miami and Real Madrid v AC Milan in Vegas. Considering these are just cash grabs for the teams and unofficial party trips for players, these dudes are going to make those entire stadiums smell like vodka sweat. It's going to be hell in the dead of summer in both of those venues. I may have to get to that Vegas game. It'll be what, 95 with 100% humidity in Miami and 110 in Vegas? Yeah guys who aren't in game shape, go run for 90 minutes straight. That'll be good.
I feel like these organizers just know that these games are in "America" and that depending on location, that can be a 40 degree swing in temperature.

robbotis
Perennial All-Star

Post by robbotis »

Juventus joining Real Madrid w/ a 3rd star on their jersey next season.
Can't wait to see what top striker(s?) they sign. Their mid is the best in the world outside Barca and Madrid. Their D is equally dominant. And oh yeah, their keeper is Buffon!.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Maybe they get Rossi on the cheap coming back from the knee injury.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Attention casual American soccer fans:
This Sunday, the EPL comes to a close.
If Manchester City beat Queens Park Rangers they win the championship. If QPR somehow wins or ties and Manchester United beat Sunderland (which they will), United win the title.
If Bolton Wanderers beat Stoke City and Manchester City beat QPR, QPR is relegated. This is significant because two important American players play for Bolton, Tim Ream (SLU guy) and Stuart Holden and we don't want them playing the second division. We want them in the big leagues.
Also, the manager of QPR is a dude named Mark Hughes. Mark Hughes is a Manchester United legend. Mark Hughes used to be the manager of Manchester City. Manchester City used to be a complete after thought in their own city because of Manchester United (sort of a Lakers-Clippers/Yankees-Mets dynamic) but when some Abu Dhabi oil sheikhs bought Manchester City a few years ago, they became the wealthiest club in the world and kicked Hughes to the curb to spend a massive fortune on a more glamorous coach and elite players.
So he wants to win to a) avoid relegation b) get revenge for getting canned just when things were looking up and c) help his old team win yet another title. An interesting thing though. He despises United's legendary manager, Sir Alex Ferguson.

So basically in this one game, there are many, many compelling sub plots and I'm not sure which channel it will be on (ESPN or Fox Soccer or maybe even FOX), but if you've got the time and you're remotely interested, you should check it out because it will be exciting.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

OH. MY. GOD.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

2goals in extra time from City to win the title. The last minute of the ENTIRE season!

SPORTS!

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I bet this reunites the Gallagher bros and they cut a new Oasis record.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

How did QPR not get relegated?

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Where on God's green Internet do you go to see EPL highlights?