MrSaigon

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by MrSaigon »

I'll be holding the 9.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

MrSaigon wrote:I'll be holding the 9.
The wind held down the smoke and ruined our tifo.

But so much fun last night.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

This article is interesting. Global football is such a clusterexpletive.

"England gave the world football. It gave the best legacy anyone could give. We gave them the game," said Richards. ...."We started the game and wrote the rules and took it the world. The Chinese may say they own it but the British own it and we gave it to the rest of the world."

That just seems perverse. They own soccer? Gave the world soccer just like they gave as much of the world as possible the Queen? Soccer was sort of a daisy growing through concrete.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

They invented the modern game and it spread through imperialism and international commerce. A bunch of cultures claim they invented it because they have sports where people kick [expletive], but the modern rules and style is a British invention. China claiming ownership is akin to if Mexico claimed to invent basketball because the Aztecs played a game that involved throwing a ball through a hoop.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

I'm not sure it's fair to say that soccer spread through imperialism. If you look at former British colonies the majority of them are not big soccer-playing nations. Now Cricket, on the other hand, definitely spread through imperialism.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I'm reading about the birth of soccer as the foreground of 'Inverting the Pyramid' it seems pretty apparent that England or arguably Scotland invented the game as we know it. But the spread of the game outside of Europe as Wilson writes it isn't a story you'd really want to beat your chest about. And to say England 'owns' it doesn't strike me very gracefully.

Anyway, in a few years China will have invented it for certain.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Age 24, Leonel Messi just became Barcelona's all-time leading scorer with 234 career goals.

Fyi, that's essentially like if Albert had set the Cardinals (great player, proud franchise with long history) all-time home run record at age 26 or so.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

bobby bo wrote:Age 24, Leonel Messi just became Barcelona's all-time leading scorer with 234 career goals.

Fyi, that's essentially like if Albert had set the Cardinals (great player, proud franchise with long history) all-time home run record at age 26 or so.
He just scored again, tying his own team record (tied also with the OG Ronaldo) for goals in a season with 34. He's got a guaranteed 13 games left (more assuming they continue to advance in the Champions League). League record is 40 (C. Ronaldo).

This dude...

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

FSC has the worst HD feed ever. Actually, all Fox channels are pretty soft.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

So USA didn't qualify for the Olympics. That sucks.