General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

13-0 is excessive, IMO.

And acting like you won the World Series after every one?

Bad look. Switch to your off foot. Rotate the defenders forward. Stopping at 8 is a classier move than consoling the goalkeeper after humiliating her. I'm not sure there was any class in that at all, actually. This is the little brother in me, but the consoling comes off a bit patronizing after 13-0. It took more class for the gk not to tell them to [expletive] off when they did.

If that 7' French woman drops 6 on the US and a 7th in stoppage time, I wonder if they would want a benevolent kindergarten teacher hug from her.

popcornmegaphone
Single A Minor League Player

Post by popcornmegaphone »

Hello
Longtime lurker learning to come out of my shell more.

I can understand running up the score in terms of goal differentials. Sweden will get their goals vs Thailand too, and if US ties Sweden the goal differentials become important for advancing out of this Group.

For me, the manner in which the USWNT players celebrated beyond goal 8 (really past goal 6 imo), was an egregious, lack-of-class display. At that point, it’s a route - with a purpose (differential), so go about your business to the final whistle and show some class in the process.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Seriously, they made kids cry in the stands. They should have toned down the celebrations a bit.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

popcornmegaphone wrote:Hello
Longtime lurker learning to come out of my shell more.

I can understand running up the score in terms of goal differentials. Sweden will get their goals vs Thailand too, and if US ties Sweden the goal differentials become important for advancing out of this Group.

For me, the manner in which the USWNT players celebrated beyond goal 8 (really past goal 6 imo), was an egregious, lack-of-class display. At that point, it’s a route - with a purpose (differential), so go about your business to the final whistle and show some class in the process.
Welcome to the board!

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:13-0 is excessive, IMO.

And acting like you won the World Series after every one?

Bad look. Switch to your off foot. Rotate the defenders forward. Stopping at 8 is a classier move than consoling the goalkeeper after humiliating her. I'm not sure there was any class in that at all, actually. This is the little brother in me, but the consoling comes off a bit patronizing after 13-0. It took more class for the gk not to tell them to [expletive] off when they did.

If that 7' French woman drops 6 on the US and a 7th in stoppage time, I wonder if they would want a benevolent kindergarten teacher hug from her.
Goal differential matters.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Couldn't care less if they celebrated too much (which they didn't), they earned the right to celebrate by making the USWNT and then scoring in the World Cup (congrats to them). Just because they scored 13 doesn't make it any less impressive of a feat.

And, if they want to get rid of running up the score, perhaps they should change the goal differential format (no) or not let teams in that don't belong (eh). Or keep everything the same (yes) and allow the whitewashing that is sure to ensue (yes).

JMO.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Goal differential matters.
Yep. The celebrations thing is a matter of subjective taste. I don't care one way or the other. The WNT feels themselves a lot and they have a big chip on their shoulder regarding equal pay and the tenuous present/future of the NWSL. They take huge chances socially and politically. They have leaned into being outspoken and embraced their roles as defiant ambassadors of their sport. Megan Rapinoe is their captain for this reason. Megan Rapinoe is a brash, cocky player and person and we all love her for it. Why ask them to tone that down when that's what's going to drive them to win when these games start getting much harder? We're looking at France in the quarter finals. Most people favor France in that match up. I get why it turns some people off, but frankly, this attitude is what they need to win it all.

After years of speculation as to whether or not the world has caught up to them (it kind of has), the WNT is on a mission to prove that they haven't.

You can hate the optics of dancing on the grave of a clearly inferior opponent, but the bigger issue is that in most countries, their women's program is treated second class at best, and outright antagonized by the mainstream soccer community in their country most often. Argentina's team is sleeping in their bus because they don't have the money to stay in a hotel. That's one of the heritage Football Associations n the world game and that's how they treat their women. That's a huge reason our women have been so successful. We have things like title 9 and efforts to create pro leagues subsidized by owners facing big losses. Our dominance is and has been an indictment on sexism in the sport around the world and games like yesterday's just continue to prove the world needs to work on that.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

tlombard wrote:10 minutes or so until the USWNT makes their debut in the World Cup. I'm surprised there is almost zero interested here.
There's a lot of critics now :)

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Seeing critcism of the excess of a 13-0 win, and celebrations after goals. Have to wonder., would men's team be criticized same way?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Freed Roger wrote:Seeing critcism of the excess of a 13-0 win, and celebrations after goals. Have to wonder., would men's team be criticized same way?
Kind of apples/oranges comparing the mnt that didn't make the world cup after losing to trinidad and tobago to the wnt who has 3 WC titles. But, I'd say if they somehow were able to do that, then the same armchair critics would be out in full force.