General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by tlombard »

Freed Roger wrote:Seeing critcism of the excess of a 13-0 win, and celebrations after goals. Have to wonder., would men's team be criticized same way?
I would still not be thrilled that they made little kids cry in the stands but who are we kidding, the USMNT is not putting up 13 on anybody these days.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

tlombard wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Seeing critcism of the excess of a 13-0 win, and celebrations after goals. Have to wonder., would men's team be criticized same way?
I would still not be thrilled that they made little kids cry in the stands but who are we kidding, the USMNT is not putting up 13 on anybody these days.
I didnt mean US Men, but any.
I know its not the same, but I enjoyed watching the little kids and adults cry when Germany drubbed Brazil.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I'm going to stand by 13-0, scoring in stoppage time and acting like you've won the lottery every 35 seconds as too much.

About goal 9 you probably feel pretty good about your chances against Sweden, don't you?

I find it easier to blame the WNT for not demonstrating more grace than that, than to pitch the responsibility to Thai soccer infrastructure.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Bah, let them decide their own culture and etiquette. I just read how in male latino culture -laying off is an insult.

What would be better about 3 US players just playing keepaway from overmatched team. ?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:Bah, let them decide their own culture and etiquette. I just read how in male latino culture -laying off is an insult.

What would be better about 3 US players just playing keepaway from overmatched team. ?
That's fair. The US women obviously have a better understanding of those nuances than I do. The scoreline is arguable as well. But I sure don't like seeing it. Would you coach that way?

Move your lines back. Start taking more dribbles to put it on your off foot for a worse shot, engage the attacker three steps later. Rotate your lines. Stop effing dancing like your spouse just returned from war. There are things you can do.

Sports shouldn't end with faces that humiliated. Even when goal differential counts, IMO.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Easy. Max of 5 in goal diff.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I do agree that obviously backing off and letting the other team have more chances is patronizing. The maddest I've ever been during a game was when a team was beating the brakes off of us in softball and they made it clear that they had stopped trying. They started playing people out of position, they would just toss the ball back to the pitcher instead of throwing to first on what should have been an easy ground ball out. Stuff like that really got under my skin. When one of them intentionally dropped a pop up, I was ready to fight.

Along with the idea of limiting the goal differential for a game, my favorite beating came from a team who didn't let up on us, they just didn't keep the score correctly. Since they were the home team, they had the official score so when the umpire asked what the score was because he figured it was about time to end the game on the mercy rule, the other team told him that he had the score wrong and we were only down by nine. We were really down by 15 or more and we all knew it but we wanted to keep playing and appreciated the way they went about it. Instead of letting us score gift runs by intentionally making errors, they just 'forgot' to add up one of their innings where they scored a bunch on us.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Oh yeah. Probably worse, to be honest, because they've never won [expletive] and because their opponent would be a lot more demonstrably upset than the Thai women were (because men are entitled babies who get angry rather than sad when their feelings get hurt).

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Plenty of hot takey pieces wondering why people are being so hard on the US women. That's fine. But optically, if the backdrop of your jubilant celebration of your twelfth extra goal (scored in the stoppage time played for your 12 previous jubilant celebrations) is opponents that are beyond devastated, something far deeper than the agony of defeat, most people are going to be a bit uncomfortable at best.

Not exactly concern trolling or pearl clutching.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

So who does everyone want to win this Brazil france game?

ETA. France goes up 1-0