RUGBY

A forum for non-baseball sports
cARdsfan
Veteran Player

Re: RUGBY

Post by cARdsfan »

Hungary Jack wrote:What is startling is that the Canadian team would probably beat the US team.

Though gaining in popularity, professional rugby is still the world of a relative few haves and many have nots.
I know we really need players who grow up playing the sport if the US ever wants to be competitive with the top tier nations, but can you just imagine if we had the literally tens of thousands of college football players who won't ever sniff the NFL look at rugby upon graduation?

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

cARdsfan wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:What is startling is that the Canadian team would probably beat the US team.

Though gaining in popularity, professional rugby is still the world of a relative few haves and many have nots.
I know we really need players who grow up playing the sport if the US ever wants to be competitive with the top tier nations, but can you just imagine if we had the literally tens of thousands of college football players who won't ever sniff the NFL look at rugby upon graduation?
TBH, that's probably too late. It's really a skill game, and takes years of expertise to master. It needs to start in HS. A lot of northeastern schools have rugby programs, but I think that's about it.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Watched Australia eliminate South Africa at 2 am this morning 11-9. As the score would indicate, a really close match that was decided by a free kick, of which S. Africa missed 2.

And Wales eliminated Ireland. That is a pretty big upset.

cARdsfan
Veteran Player

Post by cARdsfan »

Final is this afternoon from 2-5 on NBC. New Zealand vs France. As I post this the match has already taken place, but I have no idea who won.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

It makes you wonder why certain sports catch on in some countries but not others. Rugby is a very big sport all over the world except in America.

cARdsfan
Veteran Player

Post by cARdsfan »

NZ 8
FR 7
Second RWC title for the All Blacks

I'm not enough of a rugby connoiseur to say if was an entirely well played match, but it had it's entertaining moments. It was definitely a brutal affair.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I only watched the beginning including a bit of pregame, and up until the first score, but I told my wife that if there are any tougher and crazier bastards on this earth, I do not want to meet them.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Leroy wrote:I only watched the beginning including a bit of pregame, and up until the first score, but I told my wife that if there are any tougher and crazier bastards on this earth, I do not want to meet them.
Makes football seem tame.

cARdsfan
Veteran Player

Post by cARdsfan »

Leroy wrote:I only watched the beginning including a bit of pregame, and up until the first score, but I told my wife that if there are any tougher and crazier bastards on this earth, I do not want to meet them.
France's Sebastien Chabal has always struck me as the type of person I would not want to have to tackle (er, attempt to tackle), or generally anger in any way whatsoever.
[SHOW]

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Martin Castrogiovanni is a beast.

Notice how tiny the rugby ball looks in his paw.